Staples buying Office Depot for $6.3 billion

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Staples buying Office Depot for $6.3 billion

Post by Brian Lutz »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/staples-b ... nance.html

A previous merger between Staples and Office Depot was blocked by the FTC in 1998, but this time it appears that approval is far more likely as they're competing more against Amazon and Walmart than they are against other office supply chains at this point.
Alpha8472

Re: Staples buying Office Depot for $6.3 billion

Post by Alpha8472 »

When I heard that Office Depot was taking over OfficeMax, I was really disappointed. Office Depot was the worst office supply store of all. Their prices are absurdly high and the customer service is terrible. The store employees are forced to meet a sales quota every day. It is an awful place. OfficeMax was cheaper in price and generally had decently run stores.

Staples is the lowest priced of all of these chains. I like Staples and find that they match prices of other stores and they accept coupons from competitors. These office supply stores are now competing against stores like Walmart. In the past, it was just office supply stores competing with each other. Now the evil is Walmart and Walmart is trying to kill off every other store on the planet. I think that in order to survive, office supply stores need to join together to fight Walmart and other big box stores.

If office supply stores die out, then customers will be stuck with Walmart and similar stores as the only place to get office supplies. Walmart has only a limited selection of office supplies. They don't sell everything you need and Walmart is notorious for being out of stock for everything. Walmart is too cheap to restock their shelves on a regular basis. Amazon is not the lowest priced place out there. They sell many items, but the prices can often be found lower at other stores. You just have to hunt around. Many people don't shop around, and just use Amazon for the convenience of ordering online.