Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Alpha8472

Re: Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Post by Alpha8472 »

I worked in a hospital for years. There were no air dryers for hands. It was an unacceptable risk to blow virus particles or bacteria into the air. Even computer printers were banned from critical areas because the laser printers blew out fine black ink particles that can lodge in the lungs.

Surgeons wash their hands and dry with paper towels.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am surprised the health inspections do not require hand washing with paper towels. Maybe these restaurants that have hand dryers in the restrooms, have paper towels at the employee hand washing stations. I will have to look next time I go into a fast food place and see; that will be whenever this virus thing ends.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

storewanderer wrote: April 4th, 2020, 12:03 am I am surprised the health inspections do not require hand washing with paper towels. Maybe these restaurants that have hand dryers in the restrooms, have paper towels at the employee hand washing stations. I will have to look next time I go into a fast food place and see; that will be whenever this virus thing ends.
Any times I remember seeing a hand wash station back in a restaurant kitchen, bar area or at the waitress station, there is no air dryer, only paper towels. I don't know it's because of any health code, but consider also that to properly wash hands they should be using a paper towel to turn off the faucet, otherwise they are getting whatever germs back that put on the faucet to turn it on. Motion activated or foot pump style faucets can get around the issue. But I think the kitchen area wouldn't be a great place to have an air dryer due to blowing dust or grease around areas where food is being prepared or dishes washed.

Although restaurants with just an air dryer in the restroom would do better to require employees to wash their hands in the kitchen. Because opening doors between the restroom and kitchen would cause contamination anyway.

This could could complicated because if employees wait to return to the kitchen to wash their hands, then any patrons using the restroom would be grossed out if they saw an employee not wash their hands after. I know I would. So washing them twice would be the best thing, but a waste of time, and annoying.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Restaurants that used to be 24 hours have now switched to limited hours. Jack In The Box used to be the only 24 hour place, now they close at midnight.

Taco Bell used to be 3 AM, and now it is 10:30.

Business is even down at Uber Eats and Grubhub. The food delivery business is actually down from before. Many more people are unemployed now and in uncertain times they become really frugal.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:54 am Restaurants that used to be 24 hours have now switched to limited hours. Jack In The Box used to be the only 24 hour place, now they close at midnight.

Business is even down at Uber Eats and Grubhub. The food delivery business is actually down from before. Many more people are unemployed now and in uncertain times they become really frugal.
One might also suspect that some people who are still getting food are opting for the more locally owned restaurants over the big chains, feeling that if they can afford to buy meals they'd rather support the independents who don't have a major company behind them?

Not even sure that any of those services are around this (more rural) area, but several local restaurants have added their own delivery options that never had them before, in addition to in person pickup (some using options where they have them, like handing orders out through a walk up to window so customers don't have to enter the building).
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

BillyGr wrote: April 7th, 2020, 9:45 am
Alpha8472 wrote: April 7th, 2020, 1:54 am Restaurants that used to be 24 hours have now switched to limited hours. Jack In The Box used to be the only 24 hour place, now they close at midnight.

One might also suspect that some people who are still getting food are opting for the more locally owned restaurants over the big chains, feeling that if they can afford to buy meals they'd rather support the independents who don't have a major company behind them?

Not even sure that any of those services are around this (more rural) area, but several local restaurants have added their own delivery options that never had them before, in addition to in person pickup (some using options where they have them, like handing orders out through a walk up to window so customers don't have to enter the building).
I think the faction of people who support local restaurants is very small. Of course, most fast food franchises are local restaurants, with the owner living in their area. Many restaurants are offering free delivery and/or heavy discounts, just to get people in the door. I suspect that many people are weary of eating food that's been prepared by somebody else -- I was at the supermarket this afternoon, went to grab a sanitized cart but it was stuck, so I inadvertently touched another to release it and THREE people cried foul because I touched another cart. But for many, the reason is largely financial ... 30% of renters did not make their rent payment this month, and an additional 20-30% did not pay it in full. Credit card defaults are expected to reach an all-time high, etc. 80% of those not living on a fixed income report that they saw a decrease in income, so it's not surprising.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Forgot to mention -- I'm not surprised hours are being cut. Most fast food restaurants see minimal business overnight, unless it's a Friday or Saturday night. Many establishments in Southern California have cut their hours in recent years, as minimum wage crept up to $15/hour. Most people are home, eating dinner at traditional supper hours... few people are out, so keeping places open just doesn't make a lot of sense.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: April 8th, 2020, 4:41 pm

I think the faction of people who support local restaurants is very small. Of course, most fast food franchises are local restaurants, with the owner living in their area. Many restaurants are offering free delivery and/or heavy discounts, just to get people in the door. I suspect that many people are weary of eating food that's been prepared by somebody else -- I was at the supermarket this afternoon, went to grab a sanitized cart but it was stuck, so I inadvertently touched another to release it and THREE people cried foul because I touched another cart. But for many, the reason is largely financial ... 30% of renters did not make their rent payment this month, and an additional 20-30% did not pay it in full. Credit card defaults are expected to reach an all-time high, etc. 80% of those not living on a fixed income report that they saw a decrease in income, so it's not surprising.
There is the financial factor in not eating out right now...

That faction of people who support local restaurants may be small but they tend to be big restaurant spenders, visiting frequently (both personal and charging to their employer), frequently ordering drinks and appetizers, and frequently tipping generously.

I think a big factor here is there are a lot of people who, previously, did nothing but eat at restaurants. When this mess started, and restaurants closed and people were not fully aware of take out options, people had no choice other than to go buy groceries and start to make their own food. Many of those same frequent restaurant users are now "working from home" and they are already at home so it is a similar amount of time to just make food at home than go out and get take out and still have to deal with serving it at home, since they are already home in the first place. Add concerns over virus spread and orders to "stay at home" and even the take out option seems risky. Add to it that tourism has largely stopped and that is another chunk of business that restaurants typically get that is gone.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

McDonald's has finally added plexiglass panels across their counters. Business is way down, but at least they are doing some business.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 9th, 2020, 8:17 pm McDonald's has finally added plexiglass panels across their counters. Business is way down, but at least they are doing some business.
In my area most of the McDonalds have closed their inside entirely and are doing drive through only at least during the afternoon and dinner periods. Specific locations include Reno on Kietzke Lane and Reno on Mae Anne Ave. (two different franchisees). I am not sure if that is what McDonalds Corp. wants but that is what is happening in these locations.

I noticed Jack in the Box which initially weeks ago went drive through only appears to have reverted and is now opening inside for carry out and has big signs posted stating that they are open for carry out. El Pollo Loco also posted banners that said they are open for drive through and carry out but one franchise in Reno and Carson City put duct tape over the "carry out" part and is only operating drive through.

Based on the number of promotions, app alerts, and emails I am getting from these places and also Chickfila, it appears business is down tremendously. I haven't purchased fast food since this whole thing started and don't plan to until things get back to normal.