BBQ Holdings: HomeTown, Old Country Buffet

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: BBQ Holdings: HomeTown, Old Country Buffet

Post by Alpha8472 »

A local Sizzler near me closed within the last year. I had always passed by, but it never appealed to me. There are way too many better options in most areas. The restaurant looked like it had not been remodeled in at least 30 years.
BillyGr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: BBQ Holdings: HomeTown, Old Country Buffet

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote: October 13th, 2021, 5:45 pm Longview, WA has a long-time Sizzler that has held on for the 30+ years I have lived in this area. The buffet was present, but I always thought that their buffet was half-hearted at best as it focused too much on the salad bar and had a limited number of hot dishes. I always order from the main menu and will not pay additional for their salad bar/buffet.

I have not been there since the Covid mess started, but it looks like they are struggling as there are only a handful of vehicles in the parking lot at any given time. This used to be a very well-run Sizzler but in recent years the service and quality were falling off.

I think Sizzler could still be viable if they ditched the buffet and focused on their main menu more, in other words, focus on their roots.
Or do the way Ponderosa did and offer the buffet/salad bar with all the main meals (as well as the option to get just the buffet). That seemed to work OK (they have closed many spots as well, but not just due to that), and you have a smaller PA based chain that does the same to this day and managed to operate from about July 2020 onward all but a couple weeks doing that (while so many buffet type places were not re-opening).