Mcdonalds Eyebrow Remodel

bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Mcdonalds Eyebrow Remodel

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 10:08 pm The last mansard roof McDonalds I know about was in Susanville, CA. But sometime in the past year, even it finally got remodeled. Single unit franchisee who seemed to do a good job delaying the mandatory remodel.

There was also a half mansard roof one in Burney, CA. It may have also been remodeled in the past few years. That one was built in the 90's. Low performing location.
I stayed overnight in Burney back in May… can confirm the exterior is the generic stuff like what you see at the N Carson / Winnie store or in Susanville. Interior is a train-wreck.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: October 28th, 2021, 4:03 am

I stayed overnight in Burney back in May… can confirm the exterior is the generic stuff like what you see at the N Carson / Winnie store or in Susanville. Interior is a train-wreck.
What is wrong with the interior?

During COVID they did remodels to the McDonalds in Sun Valley and the one in Reno on Steamboat. I think the Sun Valley one generally looks about as good as it did before (not great) but they took self serve drinks out which is a real downgrade given the level of service at that franchisee's locations in the Reno Area. Interesting as they took self serve drinks out in one of their South Lake Tahoe locations then added it back in recently (probably due to the labor challenges though they seem to have improved service up at those two Tahoe locations). The Steamboat one however, was quite nice looking before; different franchisee than Sun Valley; the remodel is quite a downgrade in appearance. Booths replaced with chairs that are super cheap looking, way smaller counter for ordering, the playplace looks smaller than before but they still have it as an offer. Self serve drinks remained there though.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

storewanderer wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:27 pm
bryceleinan wrote: October 28th, 2021, 4:03 am

What is wrong with the interior?

During COVID they did remodels to the McDonalds in Sun Valley and the one in Reno on Steamboat. I think the Sun Valley one generally looks about as good as it did before (not great) but they took self serve drinks out which is a real downgrade given the level of service at that franchisee's locations in the Reno Area. Interesting as they took self serve drinks out in one of their South Lake Tahoe locations then added it back in recently (probably due to the labor challenges though they seem to have improved service up at those two Tahoe locations). The Steamboat one however, was quite nice looking before; different franchisee than Sun Valley; the remodel is quite a downgrade in appearance. Booths replaced with chairs that are super cheap looking, way smaller counter for ordering, the playplace looks smaller than before but they still have it as an offer. Self serve drinks remained there though.
I've noticed most of the McD's eyebrow remodels put a blank tiled wall behind the counter and there's only enough room behind the counter to stand, and that's about it basically. The counters are also as you say very small and low. I guess it's just because it's such a big departure from the look McD's always had where you had the ice cream machines behind there and you could see back into the kitchen. I think they tried to make it look ultra modern, and high end, but it just doesn't fit to me.

I also miss the L shape dining room the 80s and 90s locations had, I usually would sit back there where it was quieter. Whereas with the locations here that have been rebuilt, all of the tables are in the front of the counter and there's zero privacy or quiet. The seating in most remodeled location is also much less comfortable than the older ones. The booths are all crammed together along the walls in one location. That location also has these round tables in the middle of the room with ottomans around them. It's just a weird layout, and conducive to kids wandering and running around. Of course I guess that comes with the territory of McDonalds...

Overall it feels to me they made the seating less appealing, in order to get people not to stay. I even saw signs at one time that the maximum visit time was 45 minutes. Probably because people would get coffee and then stay and talk for hours.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

cjd wrote: October 29th, 2021, 8:32 pm Overall it feels to me they made the seating less appealing, in order to get people not to stay. I even saw signs at one time that the maximum visit time was 45 minutes. Probably because people would get coffee and then stay and talk for hours.
Which seems odd, since they were the ones actually encouraging people to stick around with things like the free Wi-Fi services.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:08 am I miss all of the old skool fast food restaurant decors in general. It gave them a certain regal distinction.

The remodels in 2021 just scream "generic" and "value engineered."

To be fair, all of the pictures you posted are "generic" red-brick-and-mansard-roof variations on a single theme, just like stores today. It's a different architectural style, but just as cookie-cutter as the examples you posted.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug
Super S

Post by Super S »

submariner wrote: November 7th, 2021, 8:23 am
DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:08 am I miss all of the old skool fast food restaurant decors in general. It gave them a certain regal distinction.

To be fair, all of the pictures you posted are "generic" red-brick-and-mansard-roof variations on a single theme, just like stores today. It's a different architectural style, but just as cookie-cutter as the examples you posted.

The Mansard roof at least had a specific look as a McDonald's. The modern "box" like structures could be easily mistaken for a newer Carl's Jr., Jack In The Box, or any number of other fast food restaurants.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Super S wrote: November 7th, 2021, 6:06 pm

The Mansard roof at least had a specific look as a McDonald's. The modern "box" like structures could be easily mistaken for a newer Carl's Jr., Jack In The Box, or any number of other fast food restaurants.
If branding, familiarity, identification, uniqueness, nostalgia, etc. have "value" then YES I get it.

None of those styles were regal back then and they still aren't now. Architecturally, they all were gimmicky and pedestrian.

IMHO :-)
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Super S wrote: November 7th, 2021, 6:06 pm

I do agree, but even then pretty much every chain had enough elements to make it unique. See the Yum! lineage, Sonic Drive-In, and Burger King's wedge for instance.

One explanation I have heard for these fast-food buildings turning boxy and generic is that it makes it easier to exchange between brands and different tenants in case one goes bust. Is this the primary factor?
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Easier to build, maintain, staff, and more attuned to the drive-thru/Doordash/takeout concept which QSRs are changing their stores to (little if any indoor seating)
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

jamcool wrote: November 8th, 2021, 9:20 am Easier to build, maintain, staff, and more attuned to the drive-thru/Doordash/takeout concept which QSRs are changing their stores to (little if any indoor seating)
Why did architects of the past opt for the more complex designs then? This is primarily for the construction/maintenance part of the deal.