Arby's location looks run down already

cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Arby's location looks run down already

Post by cjd »

My local Arby's had a fairly major remodel in 2017. The exterior metal parapet roof was removed, and the dining area and restrooms were totally remodeled. The building had not had as major of a remodel since it was built in 1984.

Yet, while I enjoy eating there, I've noticed the condition of the building is already looking quite shabby. The restroom always seems a little dirty, especially the sink, there are often paper towels thrown all over the floor too. The mirror is also discoloring at the edges already. Of course I realize the paper towels are not their fault.

In the dining room, some of the ceiling tiles have bad staining, and on one wall, the wall paper is all missing, exposing the drywall. On another wall the wallpaper is bubbling and peeling. The tile grout lines look dirty throughout the dining area and restrooms. I noticed a while ago some wall tiles missing outside the restrooms and behind them the wall looked rotten and there was a musty smell.

The door from the kitchen to the hallway is scratched up already and the door closer is broken, so the door now stays partly open. The bell that you ring if you had a good experience also fell off the wall and hasn't been put back for a month.

I'm just surprised how quickly the place is looking very shabby. It almost looked better before the remodel than it does now.

Plus when I went on Friday for some reason all of the recessed can lights were shut off, making the dining area rather dark and the hall to the restrooms was pitch black.

It does seem there was a management change shortly after the remodel, as the manager's plaques are removed and I haven't seen him around. I'm not sure who the manager even is now. Maybe this is why the place seems to look the way it is. Or could it just be a fast and botched redo job?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Arby's location looks run down already

Post by rwsandiego »

cjd wrote: November 4th, 2018, 5:54 am...It does seem there was a management change shortly after the remodel, as the manager's plaques are removed and I haven't seen him around. I'm not sure who the manager even is now. Maybe this is why the place seems to look the way it is. Or could it just be a fast and botched redo job?
Sounds like a little of both plus a cheapskate franchisee. I worked at a brand-new McDonald's as a college freshman and in some areas the floor always looked dirty, even after we cleaned it with a fresh batch of floor cleaner and a new mop head. Turned out some of the tiles were defective and had to be replaced. That solved the problem.
Super S

Post by Super S »

rwsandiego wrote: November 4th, 2018, 8:27 am
cjd wrote: November 4th, 2018, 5:54 am...It does seem there was a management change shortly after the remodel, as the manager's plaques are removed and I haven't seen him around. I'm not sure who the manager even is now. Maybe this is why the place seems to look the way it is. Or could it just be a fast and botched redo job?
Sounds like a little of both plus a cheapskate franchisee. I worked at a brand-new McDonald's as a college freshman and in some areas the floor always looked dirty, even after we cleaned it with a fresh batch of floor cleaner and a new mop head. Turned out some of the tiles were defective and had to be replaced. That solved the problem.
Several Arby's in my area have received major remodels in the last few years, and I haven't noticed this issue. But I have seen some remodels of various types (as well as new construction) which look cheap and rushed, and end up looking bad in a relatively short time.

However, some Arby's (particularly former Arctic Circle locations) in my area are older buildings which almost make more sense to rebuild. A good example is the Longview, WA location. It originally had restrooms on the outside, which were moved inside as part of the remodel. But the placement is very awkward. As you face the counter, they are off to the left in a new room which took away part of the dining area, and have a door which is not visible to the employees, and right next to one of the main doors. The remodel was long overdue, but this placement is just weird when you also consider that is the side the drive-thru window is on.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

There's a recently (within the past couple of years) remodeled Arby's on Everett Mall Way in Everett that is quite nice, and in the times I've visited it there haven't been any condition issues that I could see. There's also a new build one in Marysville that we went to this weekend which is very nice, and an older (as of yet unremodeled) location in Snohomish which seems like a second-class operation in comparison to the others in the area. That one is in a strip mall and isn't falling apart or anything like that, but does seem like it's not up to the same standards as the others nearby.