Re: Taco Bell pricing

Post by jamcool »

Actually Taco Bell was bought by Pepsi in the late 60s/early 70s
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

jamcool wrote: July 1st, 2019, 2:57 pm Actually Taco Bell was bought by Pepsi in the late 60s/early 70s
Then spun off by Pepsi after Coke picked off all their restaurant accounts by using the sales spin to "why would you support one of your competitors"? Very few restaurants served Pepsi when they owned Taco Bell and others.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: July 1st, 2019, 5:18 pm
jamcool wrote: July 1st, 2019, 2:57 pm Actually Taco Bell was bought by Pepsi in the late 60s/early 70s
Then spun off by Pepsi after Coke picked off all their restaurant accounts by using the sales spin to "why would you support one of your competitors"? Very few restaurants served Pepsi when they owned Taco Bell and others.
I don't think Pepsi has gained much headway either. Arby's was one of those who had Pepsi throughout the 90's and now they are on Coke.

Subway I think still has Pepsi? Or did they switch too? Shows how often I go there...

Pepsi seems to have done better getting its fountain drinks to have higher presence in gas stations than in the restaurant world.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Subway uses Coke at most restaurants in the U.S. However, Subway Canada has the Pepsi Spire which is a touch screen soda machine that gives the option of adding flavor shots to soda. It is similar to Coke Freestyle machines, but Pepsi has less choices and still uses syrup instead of concentrated flavor powder as Coke does.

Taco Bell has not yet used Pepsi Spire. Taco Bell likes to have their own soda fountains with exclusive Mountain Dew flavors.

Sierra Mist with real sugar is the only soda that I like. No other major soda in the U.S. uses real sugar. Taco Bell is the only place I can find it at a soda fountain.

The reason why gas stations uses Pepsi, is probably due to the cost. Pepsi costs less and is more profitable. Coke costs more. However, studies show that people prefer Coke soda fountain choices over Pepsi. You lose some customers with Pepsi, but the profit is higher. The cost difference is not that great. That is why you may see Pepsi at a rundown gas station more often, since those gas stations are trying to cut costs, and it just bleeds through to the rest of their operations.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 12:20 am Sierra Mist with real sugar is the only soda that I like. No other major soda in the U.S. uses real sugar.
They also make a version of Pepsi with real sugar (when first brought back it was the Throwback label with the old style cans but now it's a blue can similar to the regular one, so you have to look closely). Not sure that it is available in a fountain form, though.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

A Taco Bell near the Irvine HQ charges $6.49 for the “$5 Big Box” meals. Some quick research yields that it’s had the same franchise owner for decades, and he appears to own the land. A nearby Wendy’s charges an extra buck for its meal deals (4 for $5, two for $6, etc.) and I get it — it’s a newer restaurant that doesn’t get much business outside the weekday lunch crowds. But this Taco Bell is always super busy - it’s just exploiting its customers.