Subway Closures Explained

Brian Lutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Subway Closures Explained

Post by Brian Lutz » November 15th, 2019, 11:00 am

Oversaturation has definitely been a problem in some areas (back when I worked in Downtown Bellevue a few years ago there were four different Subways within three blocks of my office, and another one a couple blocks further away (there were also two Jimmy John's and a Quizno's in that area as well.) I know one of those has closed, but looking at the map of the area I still see three of those locations open. It probably helps that you can shoehorn a Subway into a pretty small space (you could probably do a walk-up counter in less than 300 square feet) but I also see a number of places where there may be multiple Subway locations in the same facility, and not even a particularly large one. For example, the Washington State Convention Center has a Subway counter at street level and another one on the third floor (about 200 feet and a couple of escalators) away. The Ferry terminal in Seattle also used to have one Subway location in an outbuilding in the car waiting area and a second one in the passenger terminal, also pretty close to each other. I suppose in some cases it makes sense, but there are some areas where they are definitely oversaturated with locations.

Then again, we're right in the heart of Starbucks territory here, so we probably know a thing or two about oversaturation.

retailfanmitchell019
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by retailfanmitchell019 » November 15th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Brian Lutz wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 11:00 am
Oversaturation has definitely been a problem in some areas (back when I worked in Downtown Bellevue a few years ago there were four different Subways within three blocks of my office, and another one a couple blocks further away (there were also two Jimmy John's and a Quizno's in that area as well.) I know one of those has closed, but looking at the map of the area I still see three of those locations open. It probably helps that you can shoehorn a Subway into a pretty small space (you could probably do a walk-up counter in less than 300 square feet) but I also see a number of places where there may be multiple Subway locations in the same facility, and not even a particularly large one. For example, the Washington State Convention Center has a Subway counter at street level and another one on the third floor (about 200 feet and a couple of escalators) away. The Ferry terminal in Seattle also used to have one Subway location in an outbuilding in the car waiting area and a second one in the passenger terminal, also pretty close to each other. I suppose in some cases it makes sense, but there are some areas where they are definitely oversaturated with locations.

Then again, we're right in the heart of Starbucks territory here, so we probably know a thing or two about oversaturation.
Speaking of non-traditional Subways, there is one in Manhattan built out of an old subway station :mrgreen:

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Alpha8472 » November 17th, 2019, 11:05 pm

I have an idea for Subway, serve Starbucks drinks like the Barnes & Noble Cafe and you will see your customer count quadruple. Barnes & Noble cafes are run by the bookstore, but have somehow managed to create a cafe that looks so much like Starbucks that it could fool anyone.

You could wrap premade cold Subway sandwiches with the Starbucks logo and people would buy them without a second thought.

You can build Starbucks across the street from each other and people will still flock to them. With Subway that is not working anymore.

Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Super S » November 18th, 2019, 8:12 am

Alpha8472 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 11:05 pm
I have an idea for Subway, serve Starbucks drinks like the Barnes & Noble Cafe and you will see your customer count quadruple. Barnes & Noble cafes are run by the bookstore, but have somehow managed to create a cafe that looks so much like Starbucks that it could fool anyone.

You could wrap premade cold Subway sandwiches with the Starbucks logo and people would buy them without a second thought.

You can build Starbucks across the street from each other and people will still flock to them. With Subway that is not working anymore.
Maybe that's the idea behind Target converting their in-store restaurants to Starbucks.