McDonald's franchisees want a better chicken sandwich

buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: McDonald's franchisees want a better chicken sandwich

Post by buckguy »

I'm surprised McDonald's hasn't been more successful with chicken. It's a big part of their menu in many places outside the US, particularly where beef isn't very common, which is the case in much of Asia. They compete with local and US-based international chains in those places and even with ChickfilA. Part of ChikfilA's success is that they concentrate on one item rather than an array of them an approach which often hasn't helped McDs. In some ways, McD's would be better off trying to figure out how ChikfilA not only gets people to buy not great sandwiches but also their horrible fries.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: March 28th, 2021, 1:28 pm I'm surprised McDonald's hasn't been more successful with chicken. It's a big part of their menu in many places outside the US, particularly where beef isn't very common, which is the case in much of Asia. They compete with local and US-based international chains in those places and even with ChickfilA. Part of ChikfilA's success is that they concentrate on one item rather than an array of them an approach which often hasn't helped McDs. In some ways, McD's would be better off trying to figure out how ChikfilA not only gets people to buy not great sandwiches but also their horrible fries.
If you can get a Chickfila to serve you extra crispy fries, the fries are quite good. The Reno Chickfila used to fulfill this request (there is a button on the cash register for it- well done). Then one time I received a written notice in my bag stating they will no longer honor special requests in regard to cooking (cooked rare, cooked well, etc.). I was told this was due to extra time it takes to fulfill such requests. I asked if they would still sell unsalted fries- yes they said. Okay- why can't you do the well done fries then? Well, no answer. Wasn't real happy with that response. I've had mixed results in CA locations on this, but some will still prepare the extra crispy fries.

McDonalds executes much better outside the US than in the US. The problem with McDonalds in the US isn't so much the raw materials, it is the poor execution. This corporation should be embarrassed at how poor its locations in my area are yet it has been this way for years and nothing has been done. Negative reviews all over Google and Yelp, and nothing ever changes. Multiple franchisees here so clearly this is a corporate oversight issue. If anything it has gotten worse.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: March 28th, 2021, 6:48 pm If you can get a Chickfila to serve you extra crispy fries, the fries are quite good. The Reno Chickfila used to fulfill this request (there is a button on the cash register for it- well done). Then one time I received a written notice in my bag stating they will no longer honor special requests in regard to cooking (cooked rare, cooked well, etc.). I was told this was due to extra time it takes to fulfill such requests. I asked if they would still sell unsalted fries- yes they said. Okay- why can't you do the well done fries then? Well, no answer. Wasn't real happy with that response. I've had mixed results in CA locations on this, but some will still prepare the extra crispy fries.
It sounds like In-N-Out. They're known for great hamburgers but have horrible fries.
klkla

Post by klkla »

And to add to this McDonalds, which in my opinion has great fries but horrible burgers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: March 30th, 2021, 7:30 pm And to add to this McDonalds, which in my opinion has great fries but horrible burgers.
The high priced McDonalds burgers they came out with a few years ago were pretty good (if made correctly) and sort of good even if not made correctly. I think those got discontinued. But the small burger is pretty terrible. The Big Mac is also iffy at best. However up in Canada the Big Mac tastes slightly different (actually has flavors throughout) and is pretty good.

If they come out with a new/premium offer that you want to try, I suggest to try it at a corporate McDonalds and see if you think the quality is better. There are some around Los Angeles.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I tried this item over the weekend. I was not happy with it, but it was edible. My first issue is the price - 5.59. And this was for the plain pickle only version. The one with lettuce, tomato, etc. was posted at 6.19. This was in a rural Nevada location. Not a high income town, but not much competition I guess. I did get it free with a $1 purchase. I have no idea why the asking price is so high. Maybe to subsidize the discounts. Anyway, the sandwich actually looked pretty good when I pulled it out of the foil bag. It was pretty hot in temperature. One side of the bun was burnt entirely (inedible) the other side of the bun was very well done so I used just that. The bun didn't have much flavor. The chicken itself on first taste was juicy and soft, but beyond the flavor of salt and pickle juice there was not much taste to the chicken at all. The taste just wasn't like Chickfila in terms of the breading and the chicken and the pickle overwhelmed the underflavored sandwich. The texture was also a bit chewier than Chickfila, not too chewy, but chewier. Maybe it would have helped on flavor if I had been able to use both buns.

Chickfila has nothing to worry about with this. The old "southern style" Chicken Sandwich McDonalds came out with however many years ago actually tasted better than this one. Also their grilled one tastes better than this.