Restaurant Brands (Burger King/Popeyes) posts strong Q3 results

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Restaurant Brands (Burger King/Popeyes) posts strong Q3 results

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://komonews.com/news/business/burg ... -brands-3q

The buzz around the Impossible Whopper and Popeye's Chicken Sandwich have contributed to a pretty good third quarter for Restaurant Brands, with 5% year-over-year sales increases at BK locations one of the best quarters in the last 20 years for Popeye's. I know Popeye's has been growing (several new locations opening here in the past couple of years) but it seems that BK has been shrinking for a while, so any growth there is good news for them.
Alpha8472

Re: Restaurant Brands (Burger King/Popeyes) posts strong Q3 results

Post by Alpha8472 »

The chicken sandwich at Popeye's probably accounts for the increase in profits. Popeye's created a good product that attracted so many people that business increased. They need to start making more of the sandwiches and not run out this time. The people demand it.

Burger King is not doing so well. There is nothing to draw people in anymore. It would be wise for Burger King to invest in co-branded locations. Some of these Burger King restaurants are on the verge of closing because they are doing so bad. Even if Burger King could offer a limited selection of Popeye's products, the traffic to Burger King would increase greatly. I think that the return of the chicken sandwich could help this happen. Burger King could offer the Popeye's chicken sandwich easily.

I was at a Burger King recently, and I could hear what people were ordering at the drive thru. It was broadcasted so loudly. For some reason, every single person wanted to order tacos. What is so special about the Burger King taco?

I did try the Impossible Whopper taste test. The BK app offered a free Impossible Whopper when you buy a regular Whopper. I was impressed. It actually tasted like beef.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I noticed that Burger King is pushing their new $1 menu. Tacos and Cheesy Tots are $1.

I tried their tacos and tots. Their tacos are reasonably good.

I also noticed doctors from the local hospital ordering the Impossible Whopper. I guess Burger King is attracting new customers.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

At this point Popeye's can't even make enough of the chicken sandwiches to supply their own restaurants, much less the much larger Burger King chain. I visited a Popeye's in Everett last night and they were not only sold out of the chicken sandwiches for the day, but also a number of other menu items. There was a big sign on the front door stating that the chicken sandwiches would only be available certain times of the day (I believe 11 am to 2 pm and 4 to 7 pm) with a hastily added "until sold out" sign on top. As for offering Popeye's products at Burger King, I'm not sure if they could without doing full co-branded locations. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that Popeye's uses pressure fryers for cooking their chicken (similar to what KFC uses), and adding those to a Burger King (assuming there's even room in the kitchen) would be a huge capital investment.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: November 8th, 2019, 9:31 am At this point Popeye's can't even make enough of the chicken sandwiches to supply their own restaurants, much less the much larger Burger King chain. I visited a Popeye's in Everett last night and they were not only sold out of the chicken sandwiches for the day, but also a number of other menu items. There was a big sign on the front door stating that the chicken sandwiches would only be available certain times of the day (I believe 11 am to 2 pm and 4 to 7 pm) with a hastily added "until sold out" sign on top. As for offering Popeye's products at Burger King, I'm not sure if they could without doing full co-branded locations. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that Popeye's uses pressure fryers for cooking their chicken (similar to what KFC uses), and adding those to a Burger King (assuming there's even room in the kitchen) would be a huge capital investment.
Popeyes in Reno/Sparks often runs out of items as well. They also sometimes run out of Popeyes fries so they serve generic standard fries instead.

I have gotten pretty frustrated with Popeyes. I have largely given up on the place and just go to Chickfila. Too many bad experiences. Popeyes is a much better product than Chickfila, but rude employees, questionable cleanliness, and inconsistent preparation of food ruins it. Chickfila is always clean, polite, and the food is very hot. The employees at Chickfila who handle money are not also handling food.

I think different people own territory rights to Popeyes and Burger King in most places so not sure how co-branding would work there. I think adding Tim Horton's products to Burger King could be a potential win. But it could also be a real non starter. Popeyes is probably solid as is; no need to add anything there.