McGrath's Fish House

Super S

McGrath's Fish House

Post by Super S »

It looks like McGrath's has been quietly closing locations and is down to only five restaurants. Recent closures include Eugene, Corvallis, and Beaverton. It looks like the chain went through a bankruptcy reorganization in 2010 and at one point had 21 locations. They are continuing to run TV commercials, but it appears that both Corvallis and Eugene closed with little notice. In news articles they cited needed repairs to the restaurants and increases in the minimum wage as factors. Not sure what happened in Beaverton as that one closed within the past month. I am wondering about the future of the chain as well as that far-flung location in Boise. I do eat at the Vancouver, WA location occasionally and think their food is decent. They are still running TV advertisements so I would imagine they are trying to stay in business.
storewanderer

Re: McGrath's Fish House

Post by storewanderer »

They used to be in Utah too. I think they overexpanded. Hopefully the remaining locations are viable because they are sure better than Red Lobster.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: January 29th, 2020, 6:49 pm They used to be in Utah too. I think they overexpanded. Hopefully the remaining locations are viable because they are sure better than Red Lobster.
I would like to see them stick around. There are areas where they could fill a niche. In some towns Red Lobster is virtually the only seafood restaurant.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: January 30th, 2020, 10:32 am
storewanderer wrote: January 29th, 2020, 6:49 pm They used to be in Utah too. I think they overexpanded. Hopefully the remaining locations are viable because they are sure better than Red Lobster.
I would like to see them stick around. There are areas where they could fill a niche. In some towns Red Lobster is virtually the only seafood restaurant.
The Beaverton location was pretty run down the last two times I ate there. It just felt tired, tables were sticky, chairs worn out, carpet dirty. It needed an overhaul so I'm not surprised it shut down. If I see a dirty or worn down restaurant, it makes me think the kitchen is dirty as well.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

Looking at the menu, reviews and pictures, this is one place I would have gone to repeatedly. It looks like they opened a location in California about 15 years ago but was never well known. It was located in a busy and popular mall that caters to (it does now, not sure if it did in 2005).

I'm hoping they can survive but I'm doubtful. A big restaurant chain would need to buy them up, expand and not change the concept too much. This concept would work in SoCal, not sure about other states.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

steps wrote: January 30th, 2020, 8:13 pm Looking at the menu, reviews and pictures, this is one place I would have gone to repeatedly. It looks like they opened a location in California about 15 years ago but was never well known. It was located in a busy and popular mall that caters to (it does now, not sure if it did in 2005).

I'm hoping they can survive but I'm doubtful. A big restaurant chain would need to buy them up, expand and not change the concept too much. This concept would work in SoCal, not sure about other states.
I loved it when it was new. But they let things go over the years. People stop coming back when the building looks tired, and the menus are torn and covered in stains. I suspect as sales fell, they stopped keeping the place up. Unless someone steps in with some investment money, they are toast.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Medford location is kept up noticeably better than what you are describing. Dated, but not explicitly run down. But I do recall the one in Utah I went to some years ago being pretty tired inside and in need of repair.

I assume this is privately held. Maybe the few locations can hang on. It may be they stopped investing in the locations they planned to close and now are just down to these 5.

These restaurant concepts seem to often have a 20 year or so lifespan. Then you see many locations close. A few hang on for a few lease extensions.

Perhaps as a smaller chain they can source better/fresher seafood. Rather than sourcing frozen seafood via the restaurant wholesale truck like many of these chains get their seafood from.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I was in Boise a couple weeks ago, and noticed that the Boise McGrath's has closed down. Their website now shows they are down to three locations: Salem, Medford, and Vancouver, WA.
Super S

Post by Super S »

This chain is now down to only two locations: Salem, OR and Vancouver, WA.

McGrath's is advertising on TV an all you can eat fisherman's platter, but curiously, not advertising the price. They appear to be trying to regain some business.

I would hate to see them disappear. The Pacific Northwest (away from coastal areas) does not have a whole lot to offer when it comes to seafood restaurants...Red Lobster seems to be in smaller towns, Ivar's is mostly limited to the Seattle-Tacoma area, Skipper's has a couple random locations left but is now more of a take-out/convenience store brand, and Long John Silver's has a small enough presence that I see random locations about once a year that don't seem to stick around long. I am kinda hoping that Mo's could expand their presence...they are mainly on the Oregon coast, but they do have a location at Portland International Airport. There are independents here and there but they are hit or miss.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Based on the article in Medford's daily paper (now moved to online only, I believe), it reads that the McGrath family still owns the restaurants.

They sold Medford to another local operators that runs a variety of things, but if I were guessing they might turn it into Elmer's based on their holdings noted in the piece.

I remember them from successful (at the time) mall in Utah, The Gateway, as well as the busy and successful Boise Spectrum Center. We always wanted them in eastern Idaho, where we are starved for seafood options at all. In fact, Red Lobster left their only area location (Chubbuck/Pocatello) over a landlord dispute. Ironically it is now being demolished to be replaced by Olive Garden.

Beaverton's was very tired on the only visit I had before it closed so we never went back. It's now a bustling location of Oswego Grill, a local success story.