Trouble at Burgerim?

J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Trouble at Burgerim?

Post by J-Man »

One story here about a local franchisee who bailed, but apparently there are widespread problems. They've had their license to sell franchises revoked in a number of states, and Sen. Feinstein even asked the FTC to investigate them.
Alpha8472

Re: Trouble at Burgerim?

Post by Alpha8472 »

This company sounds like it is near death. The people who run the corporate office have no idea what they are doing. Without proper leadership, this company is doomed.

I have seen many of their restaurants open up in my area. The prices are way too high, and the food is not impressive. There are several restaurants under construction with the signs already in place. They have not yet opened. There is already too much burger competition right now, and this chain is one of those high priced fad restaurants.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It seemed to be like if you took Jack in the Box, multiplied the price by about 3, then cut the size of the burger by about 75%. Absolutely terrible value proposition. Nothing wrong with the product, just, absolutely terrible value proposition. And it really tasted like Jack in the Box.

Someone opened a couple locations in my area. The first in downtown Reno in a spot that already had multiple food places fail, and also multiple food places failed within a block of said spot.

The second in Sparks in the large Legends center. This center already has BJ's (which is probably cheaper for a burger and fries than BurgerIM is), and also Fuddruckers and Habit along with other places that offer burgers. Also Chickfila.
trainman
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by trainman »

J-Man linked to a follow-up, but the original Restaurant Business article is fascinating, even to someone like me who knows little about the industry (but at least I have enough common sense to know that, um, someone should be collecting a franchise fee from their franchisees).

The Burgerim Disaster

I ate at Burgerim once, but it didn't impress me enough to make me a regular customer.
klkla

Post by klkla »

trainman wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 11:37 am J-Man linked to a follow-up, but the original Restaurant Business article is fascinating, even to someone like me who knows little about the industry (but at least I have enough common sense to know that, um, someone should be collecting a franchise fee from their franchisees).

The Burgerim Disaster

I ate at Burgerim once, but it didn't impress me enough to make me a regular customer.
Thanks for the link. Interesting and very detailed article.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

A BurgerIm in San Ramon, California converted to a Burgers & Chaat. They removed the Im and added & Chaat. It is now an independent restaurant. I noticed that many of these restaurants have closed or converted to independent restaurants in the past few months. It looks like this chain is nearing death.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The BurgerIM in Downtown Reno converted to an independent but similar (with some new twists) format.

There is still a BurgerIM in Sparks at the Scheels shopping center is still trying to run with the BurgerIM brand and concept. Last I looked the store was off the website's locator but if you tried to do an online order the website would locate that store. The packaging they use is a mix of stuff that says BurgerIM and stuff that doesn't. There is still some marketing stuff there so it appears there is still some support for the chain taking place. The store is still a BurgerIM (or was as of a couple weeks ago).
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Just another fast-casual fad chain. I imagine we will see many more similar to this one disappear over the next year or so.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The online ordering website is a third party kind of like Uber Eats. It is not part of BurgerIm. It seems the restaurants have cut ties to BurgerIm but still use the third party for online ordering.