KFC & A&W Remodeling

Alpha8472

KFC & A&W Remodeling

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed some KFC remodels in recent years. One KFC A&W combination near me in Concord, California is remodeling. The cost will be about $75,000.

There is another combo near me in Pleasant Hill, California that remodeled a year or so ago, but looks mostly like a KFC.

Are there any standalone A&W restaurants? What does their current decor look like?

I actually liked the old A&W decor that looked like a 1950s era diner or soda shop. That decor is classic. There is only one that I know of left in my area in San Leandro, California.
Super S

Re: KFC & A&W Remodeling

Post by Super S »

There was an old standalone A&W in the Orchards area of Vancouver, WA until about the late 2000s. That was the last standalone one I have seen in my area. KFC has built new standalone locations, but I have not seen a new build standalone A&W in many years.

The KFC/A&W near me remodeled a couple years ago. They seemed to de-emphasize the A&W side of things significantly. They still have a few burgers etc. on the menu but A&W is best known for their root beer. I don't see too many people ordering A&W food items but it could just be the timing of when I go in.

I know some KFC franchisees were not too crazy on the combo thing, but it seems like the combos are the only thing keeping A&W as a restaurant alive, at least in my area.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

There are a couple here in NY state.

One is not completely freestanding (it is a building shared with a convenience store and a liquor store) but the restaurant is just A&W (no co-branded).
If you use 178 Union Turnpike, Greenport, NY 12534 you should be able to see it on a streetside/streetview type mapping.
Basically orange along the upper part and beige below, which carries over to the liquor side of the building, with dark brown for the store portion.

The second is an older location in Lake George, though it was redone several years ago after a fire. That one doesn't have the streetside (Bing's version of maps) for some reason, but the address is 2208 State Route 9, Lake George, NY 12845.
I know it was an older design, but not sure exactly what it looks like now after the renovations.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

It appears the stand-alone location near Idaho Falls, Idaho finally gave up the ghost and closed. It's now a Burger King. *However* there are locations in Blackfoot, Idaho (attached to a C-store gas station property) and Pocatello, Idaho (fully stand alone).
Since the last person gave an address, here's the Pocatello one:
1335 N Arthur Ave, Pocatello, ID 83204 Nice view on Google Streetview
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

There used to be an A&W in the food court of the mall here, but it closed down around 2010. I miss it and was hoping they'd open another location but sounds like with the de-emphasis of the brand it won't likely happen.

The KFC here is just a regular non-co-branded location. I think it got a repaint a year or two ago but I haven't seen any major remodels being done on it.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

There's one KFC/A&W combo restaurant in South Everett / North Lynnwood here that I don't bother with because the prices are absurdly high (the last time I was there the "$5 Fill-up" combo on the KFC side was being selling for $8.49) and a standalone A&W in the food court at Everett Mall. Aside from those there's one combo KFC/A&W in Shoreline on Aurora Avenue, and I think the next closest one from there is in Renton.

That said, it seems that combo restaurants are on the decline here. The KFC in Downtown Everett got rid of the previous Long John Silvers co-branding during a recent remodel, and all of the combination Taco Bell/Pizza Hut locations around here seem to be getting rid of the Pizza Hut as well (although that was more of a "Taco Bell that sells a very small number of Pizza Hut items" situation so it's understandable.)
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Brian Lutz wrote: February 28th, 2020, 7:51 am There's one KFC/A&W combo restaurant in South Everett / North Lynnwood here that I don't bother with because the prices are absurdly high (the last time I was there the "$5 Fill-up" combo on the KFC side was being selling for $8.49) and a standalone A&W in the food court at Everett Mall. Aside from those there's one combo KFC/A&W in Shoreline on Aurora Avenue, and I think the next closest one from there is in Renton.

That said, it seems that combo restaurants are on the decline here. The KFC in Downtown Everett got rid of the previous Long John Silvers co-branding during a recent remodel, and all of the combination Taco Bell/Pizza Hut locations around here seem to be getting rid of the Pizza Hut as well (although that was more of a "Taco Bell that sells a very small number of Pizza Hut items" situation so it's understandable.)
There is a recent remodel of a KFC/A&W in White Center at 16th Ave SW and SW 102nd St. But as for Long John Silvers, there are no more in the greater Seattle area. The closest one for me was in Kent and now it is KFC only. In fact, I don't think LJS ever had freestanding locations in Washington State!
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Are there any A&W locations that still have the car hop design?

I am sure I saw some in Florida and Colorado years back.

I miss those folks in roller skates bringing your food to your car.

8-)
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Brian Lutz wrote: February 28th, 2020, 7:51 am That said, it seems that combo restaurants are on the decline here. The KFC in Downtown Everett got rid of the previous Long John Silvers co-branding during a recent remodel, and all of the combination Taco Bell/Pizza Hut locations around here seem to be getting rid of the Pizza Hut as well (although that was more of a "Taco Bell that sells a very small number of Pizza Hut items" situation so it's understandable.)
Long John Silvers got cut out of the Yum! family in 2011, so it figures.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

pseudo3d wrote: February 28th, 2020, 7:40 pm
Brian Lutz wrote: February 28th, 2020, 7:51 am That said, it seems that combo restaurants are on the decline here. The KFC in Downtown Everett got rid of the previous Long John Silvers co-branding during a recent remodel, and all of the combination Taco Bell/Pizza Hut locations around here seem to be getting rid of the Pizza Hut as well (although that was more of a "Taco Bell that sells a very small number of Pizza Hut items" situation so it's understandable.)
Long John Silvers got cut out of the Yum! family in 2011, so it figures.
I am guessing that one reason why A&W/KFC co-brands get remodeling is that A&W cut a deal with Yum! to be a part of it’s supply chain. So while it is a separate company there is still some kind of corporate relationship. Not sure that LJS is part of that supply chain?!