Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Alpha8472

Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Post by Alpha8472 »

Restaurants that were previously very busy are eerily empty now. This applies to non-asian restaurants also. People seem to be afraid of crowds now.
klkla

Re: Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Post by klkla »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 5:11 pm Restaurants that were previously very busy are eerily empty now. This applies to non-asian restaurants also. People seem to be afraid of crowds now.
I wish that was true here in LA. There wouldn't be such long lines everywhere as there are now (still). I honestly have not seen a difference.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I haven't been out to restaurants much lately but I was at Burger King today and it was about as busy as normal. Maybe it's just a CA thing or certain parts of the country. Here in FL it seems to be business as usual, from what I have seen.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Doesn't seem to be having much effect here. Most places I've been seem to be just as busy as they always are.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Panda Express was empty. It is probably just because it is the San Francisco Bay Area and we have tons of Asian people in the neighborhood. The rest of the shopping center with Marshalls was deserted as well. It is normally very busy. There will be some economic problems for this area if this continues.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I have spoken to many coworkers and others who are saying they have no desire to eat in restaurants at this time. I am curious if we will see this hit sit down formats harder than quick serve formats (I think we will).

A lot of fear is out there at this point. Companies and governments are briefing employees and management for plans on how to handle this when a community spread comes out (which is being predicted for next month if you believe all of the fear).

I don't quite know what to believe. So far the numbers for this are low compared to the usual flu, or other accident types like traffic accidents. There is a lot of speculation and fear that the numbers will grow. We will see what happens. It is certainly causing the stock market to tank and personally I would be planning some vacations for spring/summer now but I am holding off on planning anything until more concrete data becomes available about what exactly is going to happen with this thing. Will it doom us like the media is reporting or are they exaggerating again? The stock market seems to be expecting the former. That does not bode well.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I have not noticed any real change to traffic patterns at restaurants, retail or gathering places in San Diego.

I have noticed some passive attitudinal changes that worry me.

Remember that AIDS was THE gay disease and I hope we do not forget the consequences and "costs" of that way of thinking.

Already, anyone that looks Asian is being treated differently and negatively.

And now under our current culture of self serving "mis", "dis" and "mal" information, this tragedy can exponentially explode beyond the loss of precious lives.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I am curious what effect this is having on buffet restaurants.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I passed by Golden Corral and it was much less crowded. Normally there would be lines for the food, but it was not busy.

The buffet is dangerous as all those people touch the spoons with their dirty hands. Some even pick up food with their bare hands.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed restaurants being much less crowded in the San Francisco Bay Area. Even the Walmart McDonald's is practically empty. There used to be unending lines and no seats available. Now there are plenty of seats. If this continues, they are going to have to start cutting employee hours and store hours.

It is not as bad at drive thru restaurants. Jack In the Box still has drive thru lines, but the indoor seating area is empty. They say that coronavirus can be spread by money and can survive 9 days on surfaces. I use a UV wand on all items I bring home.

Many delivery services such as DoorDash and Grubhub are now offering contactless delivery. They have the option where you can tell them to leave the food at the door.

Does this really work if the person sneezes all over your food or if the food is prepared by sick people?