Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Alpha8472

Re: Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Post by Alpha8472 »

They did studies and hand dryers did blow dangerous bacteria all around. It is now recommended to turn off all hand dryers and supply paper towels in order to prevent coronavirus. The coronavirus is spread by particles emitted when people talk, cough, or sneeze. It is much more contagious than the flu. The six foot rule is not enough. People need to start wearing masks like they do in China and Asia. The prevention is to slow the particles coming out of people's mouths. Every little bit helps.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What about these various businesses, especially in CA I have noticed it more, along with signs that they are trying to be "green," that only have hand dryers? I have noticed this a lot in Safeway in California, they only have hand dryers. Yet here in NV the Safeway all have paper towels in its restrooms (same division, I don't get it). Same thing with Macy's; in CA, only hand dryers. Leave CA and they still have some paper towels.

Or McDonalds who forever has had only hand dryers and rarely over the years had paper towels unless a franchisee for some reason went to the trouble to install dispensers (which, in my area, one franchisee did, then sold their locations and the dispensers were promptly removed by the new operators). Same at Popeyes in my area, all they have are hand dryers. Same also for Panda Express. Also the recently remodeled Target Stores only have hand dryers. Also all of the newly opened Grocery Outlet stores in my area only have hand dryers.

I have never liked the hand dryer only option. Hopefully this Coronavirus scare wakes others up to the fact that these hand dryers are no good and the paper towels need to be brought back.

I have been avoiding public restrooms the past few weeks so it is very possible there have been some changes. But I doubt it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

OSHA requires warm air blowers or individual hand towels. Most companies will only do the bare minimum which is the warm air blower. Having both costs more.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

One might suspect that changes are unlikely at this time, between the costs of adding something new and the likelihood that getting the towels is hard enough for those who already have them, no less trying to add customers at this point.

Same reason that the idea of wearing masks is not going to be widely promoted (no matter how much they might or might not help), since they are already hard to come by for those who are most in need (the medical personnel, and then others in major contact positions).
klkla

Post by klkla »

If one washes their hands properly prior to using the blowers there shouldn't be any germs left to be spread.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

When people flush, fecal bacteria are sprayed into the air and stay in the air for some time. These fine particles stay airborne and get pushed through the air dryer and land concentrated on your hands. They did tests and these colonies of bacteria are in fact dangerous and include e coli. The same with fine virus particles. There is no filter in the hand dryer.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on April 2nd, 2020, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 4:12 pm If one washes their hands properly prior to using the blowers there shouldn't be any germs left to be spread.
What if someone coughs or sneezes and some of those germs land on the wall surrounding or under the hand dryer (when the hand dryer isn't turned on)? Also not sure if the temperature of the air from the dryer would do anything to the germs- might expand them even... pretty sure it would not be hot enough to kill the terms.

Too many unknowns. But I know if you take the paper towel that is hanging out of the dispenser it may be contaminated too. So if you pull that one out then take the next one that one being in an enclosed dispenser is likely pretty safe... not fool proof because germs could be stuck to the sides of the dispenser or whoever refilled it could have given germs but seems less risky.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

A lot of restaurants here too are air dryer only as well and I don't like it either. Especially hearing talk about the blowing germs around awhile ago, I feel like my hands are getting recontaminated by them. Anything on the floor, adjacent urinals, toilets or even just floating in the air is potentially getting drawn in and blown back out directly on my hands.

The gyms I've been to are the same way. Publix for some reason has only paper towels in their restrooms here, and a newer stores at that. Very few places these days have both, with most any recently built or remodeled places having only air dryers sometimes with a not about how they are green and save paper.

The biggest reason I don't like there not being paper towels is that there is nothing to open the door with upon leaving.

I haven't been out using public restrooms (other than at work with limited access) post-virus but I imagine I would be much more cautious about opening a door sans paper towels.
bayford
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by bayford »

Virtually all research into the efficacy of hand dryers vs. paper towels in public restrooms is funded by either paper companies or dryer manufacturers. Unsurprisingly, each individual study tends to draw conclusions favorable to the industry that sponsored the research.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bayford wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 7:33 pm Virtually all research into the efficacy of hand dryers vs. paper towels in public restrooms is funded by either paper companies or dryer manufacturers. Unsurprisingly, each individual study tends to draw conclusions favorable to the industry that sponsored the research.
At this point I think it is pretty clear if there is virus stuck to the walls or surfaces in the restrooms these hand dryers are, flat out, no good. They are blowing the virus around to innocent bystanders hours after someone in the restroom exposes the restroom to the virus.