Goodbye Bakers Square

romleys
Cashier
Cashier

Goodbye Bakers Square

Post by romleys »

Goodbye Bakers Square, Hello Sharis...
http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/san ... ily36.html

How successful do you think they will be in the San Francisco Bay Area?
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Goodbye Bakers Square

Post by Brian Lutz »

I had no idea Shari's was even in a position to bother expanding. In all the time I've lived around here I've never seen a new one open up. There are a few scattered here and there (all in the standard hexagonal building) and there used to be one in town here until it closed down to make way for the usual block of condos, but I've never actually been to one. From what I've heard, it's a standard 24-hour place that you wouldn't go to if anything else was open.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Wow, I've heard Shari's has declined over the years. I come across the occassional Shari's when I am out of town and the buildings look rather tired and locations don't appear to be very busy, but they do have customers. I only ate at a Shari's once, in a Portland suburb a decade ago, and the meal was not very good at all.

I don't really know what happened to Baker's Square, but, maybe this will be an improvement. The last time I ate at Baker's Square (Auburn, since closed), the unit was very worn inside and quality of the food just wasn't good (it was hot and everything, just low quality).

Shari's is strong in the Pacific Northwest, and that is a very different market from California, especially the bay area. This will be interesting, and it will be all about how well they can execute. I haven't heard of them expanding like this before, so some extra effort on their part may be enough to pull this off successfully.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have only eaten at the Baker's Square in Davis. The food was ok. That location will become a Black Bear Diner.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Is Baker's Square completely going away? I know Village Inn is bankrupt, but I didn't think they were eliminating this brand. It appears they are.

Black Bear is a good concept, but, as they have expanded, and franchised, there seem to be a lot of inconsistencies.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

Bakers Square sold the only two locations left in Southern California (Torrance and Montebello) to Polly's Pies.

This is actually a good thing as Pollys has had a better offering of food, bakery items.