Wendy's Takes Beef Off The Menu

Alpha8472

Wendy's Takes Beef Off The Menu

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wendy's has taken beef off the menu in some restaurants in California, South Carolina, and Kentucky. They say that it will be temporary.

There are about 1,043 Wendy's out of beef or 18 percent of their restaurants. Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee, and New York are some of the states that are out.
Super S

Re: Wendy's Takes Beef Off The Menu

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 5th, 2020, 2:02 pm Wendy's has taken beef off the menu in some restaurants in California, South Carolina, and Kentucky. They say that it will be temporary.

There are about 1,043 Wendy's out of beef or 18 percent of their restaurants. Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee, and New York are some of the states that are out.
Not a good thing for a chain known for hamburgers. It's a little worrisome with their timing of the breakfast rollout and now this, while many restaurants are drive-thru only.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I checked the Wendys app and here in Reno they have beef items still and no signs of the items being restricted in any way on the app.

However I did notice one interesting thing. As I have mentioned before we have 3 franchisees here. 2 of them do a pretty good job, the other one is absolutely awful. The 2 that do a good job have extended hours at their locations closing at 11 PM or 1 AM depending on location. The awful franchisee has taken a different approach cutting hours and now closing by 9 PM.

I am surprised we are not being impacted by shortages in CA. I guess they have different supply sources for NV locations than CA locations.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

I stopped at a Wendy's last night in PA and they already had signs up on the speaker and menu board that the larger burger patties weren't available and were encouraging people to order Jr. cheeseburgers and such (luckily I just stopped to redeem my free spicy chicken sandwich coupon on the App).
klkla

Post by klkla »

Clara Peller is rolling over in her grave:

BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote: May 5th, 2020, 5:01 pm Not a good thing for a chain known for hamburgers. It's a little worrisome with their timing of the breakfast rollout and now this, while many restaurants are drive-thru only.
Although, since McDonald's decided to stop offering breakfast items throughout the day, maybe they could start running a few of those in the locations with beef issues and grab some of that business? Particularly since they wouldn't be hurting other item sales if those items aren't available anyway...
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I usually order the four for $4, and I noticed a few items covered up last week on the drive thru menu. I did order the junior cheeseburger though, so they had that. We'll see this Friday. I've been limiting myself to one time of eating out a week, since this mess, and it's been mostly Wendy's for a month now. This week it may need to be the crispy chicken sandwich instead.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Is chicken more profitable? Sourcing fresh beef is getting expensive. Perhaps they are purposely rationing to increase profits by getting people to buy the chicken sandwiches.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Not sure if that's the case or not, but it certainly seems like they promote the spicy chicken sandwich pretty heavily, almost to the point of ignoring other chicken items on the menu. On the latest coupon sheet they send in the weekly ad mailer here there were several coupons for the spicy chicken and the single burger, but none for any other sandwiches (aside from the generic "$2 off any combo" one.) I'm guessing it's one of their most popular items.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: May 6th, 2020, 8:53 pm Not sure if that's the case or not, but it certainly seems like they promote the spicy chicken sandwich pretty heavily, almost to the point of ignoring other chicken items on the menu. On the latest coupon sheet they send in the weekly ad mailer here there were several coupons for the spicy chicken and the single burger, but none for any other sandwiches (aside from the generic "$2 off any combo" one.) I'm guessing it's one of their most popular items.
I think the heavy chicken sandwich promotion is due to the popularity of the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich and the ongoing success of Chickfila (though I am not sure how successful they are lately; they have cut hours and the first few weeks of this pandemic I was getting push notifications from their app constantly). I am wondering if Chickfila has signed some very high cost leases and volume drops will be a problem even if they are still running high volumes.