Boston Market

storewanderer

Re: Boston Market

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like the new ownership of Boston Market was a previous Pizza Hut franchisee in PA who had some kind of issue with Pizza Hut and closed all of the Pizza Huts, but they still controlled the real estate. As a result they are reopening some of those former Pizza Huts as Boston Market locations in PA, with what appears to be limited remodeling. So they are saying Boston Market is going to be having unit growth this year... and opened 41 new locations last year (??)... will be interesting to see how this works out based on what I see at the location in my area with very limited staffing (2 employees at 6 PM), usually drive through only, and what seems to be a lot of broken equipment inside. This explains the constant stream of coupons they keep issuing, they must be trying to market themself and get some cash flow. Well, that 3.50 chicken promotion in December lured me in and I have gone back multiple times since so maybe they have a shot. Had they not issued that promotion I would not have gone there.

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.co ... rants-week

I really hope this works out but I'm not sure how it will go.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Attempted to go to Reno Boston Market today. Signs on the door said they are "temporarily closed." Signs on the drive through said they are closed for a week starting February 5.

I wonder what happened. Their website says the location is closed Saturday and Sunday and open Monday-Friday from 11-8.

There was another customer there who had put in for an order on their website and I guess the website took their order and charged them for it even though the location was closed...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Coronavirus strikes again. I have friends who work at a major retailer and their returns counter has been repeatedly closed due to "technical difficulties." What they really should say is that so many workers have tested positive for COVID that the only people left who know how to do returns are the managers.

My sister works for Kaiser Permanente and her nurse friend calls people to inform them of their positive results. Many of them are fast food or retail workers who argue and insist on going back to work. No wonder why this is spreading like wildfire. When you have no other source of income you are going to work anyway and make other people sick.

The only other place worse than a restaurant is a pharmacy. My coworkers have been hit hard. My fellow pharmacy in another city is relying on substitute workers as the regular workers have all fallen ill.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This Boston Market only has 2-3 employees on duty at once and has been drive through only. I don't think a COVID closure would last a week? Would think it would only be a day or two?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

10 day quarantine for all workers from the date of the positive test. The managers might have tested positive. No one is there to open the restaurant.

The local big box retailer put up a sign. "Money center is closed for 14 days." That retailer has a policy of 14 day required quarantine. I do not think it is enough as some people with COVID take longer than 14 days to get over it.

Plexiglass shields do not work as my coworker caught it despite plexiglass in front of the entire pharmacy. The virus goes around the gaps under the glass.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 6:11 am 10 day quarantine for all workers from the date of the positive test. The managers might have tested positive. No one is there to open the restaurant.

The local big box retailer put up a sign. "Money center is closed for 14 days." That retailer has a policy of 14 day required quarantine. I do not think it is enough as some people with COVID take longer than 14 days to get over it.

Plexiglass shields do not work as my coworker caught it despite plexiglass in front of the entire pharmacy. The virus goes around the gaps under the glass.
I haven't seen any other food service locations close for this long of a time period including grocery stores where there are reported positive tests multiple times in a given week.

But the circumstances may be different with this one- given it seems to have few employees if they lose even one or two people there are not enough to replace them and reopen.

I think a combination of plexiglass and table in front of the counter to make that six foot distance is the best precaution at this point and will continue to be a good precaution in future winters to help with flu season. But so far I see either or (mostly plexiglass) but not both.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: January 20th, 2021, 7:28 pm Looks like the new ownership of Boston Market was a previous Pizza Hut franchisee in PA who had some kind of issue with Pizza Hut and closed all of the Pizza Huts, but they still controlled the real estate. As a result they are reopening some of those former Pizza Huts as Boston Market locations in PA, with what appears to be limited remodeling.
Interesting. There is a shuttered strip center Pizza Hut near me (Southeastern PA) that closed down earlier in 2020, with pretty much every other one in the region (although at least a handful of locations have reopened as a Pizza Hut). I just noticed the other day there was a dumpster out front and someone working inside...fingers crossed it might reopen as a Boston Market (I would be surprised if it reopened as a Pizza Hut as it never seemed to be that popular and the reviews were abysmal.)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: February 8th, 2021, 7:00 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 20th, 2021, 7:28 pm Looks like the new ownership of Boston Market was a previous Pizza Hut franchisee in PA who had some kind of issue with Pizza Hut and closed all of the Pizza Huts, but they still controlled the real estate. As a result they are reopening some of those former Pizza Huts as Boston Market locations in PA, with what appears to be limited remodeling.
Interesting. There is a shuttered strip center Pizza Hut near me (Southeastern PA) that closed down earlier in 2020, with pretty much every other one in the region (although at least a handful of locations have reopened as a Pizza Hut). I just noticed the other day there was a dumpster out front and someone working inside...fingers crossed it might reopen as a Boston Market (I would be surprised if it reopened as a Pizza Hut as it never seemed to be that popular and the reviews were abysmal.)
They are supposedly opening 1-2 of these former PA Pizza Huts a week as Boston Markets. It does not look like they are getting much remodeling and do not have the usual Boston Market layout (with the case of food in front of the customer). It does look like most of these had fairly recent Pizza Hut imaging inside (certainly look a lot different inside than the Pizza Huts here in NV- much more modern). Some of these Pizza Huts had drive throughs (maybe they were previously some other fast food place) so from that angle the conversion seems to be a good fit.

The reviews for the Boston Markets in former Pizza Huts opened so far are mixed at best.
Hamburg, Oxford, Feasterville Trevose, Aston (really awful reviews on this one), Gilbertsville (looks like this was a very recently updated Pizza Hut)
Philadelphia- 6242 Stenton Avenue and 8045 Frankford Ave and 9850 Bustleton Avenue
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: February 8th, 2021, 7:54 pm

The reviews for the Boston Markets in former Pizza Huts opened so far are mixed at best.
Hamburg, Oxford, Feasterville Trevose, Aston (really awful reviews on this one), Gilbertsville (looks like this was a very recently updated Pizza Hut)
Philadelphia- 6242 Stenton Avenue and 8045 Frankford Ave and 9850 Bustleton Avenue
Just wondering...where are you finding this information? I know Feasterville (the only location on that list I'm semi-familiar with) wasn't open as a Pizza Hut very long. It used to be an iHop several years ago.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: February 9th, 2021, 6:52 am
Just wondering...where are you finding this information? I know Feasterville (the only location on that list I'm semi-familiar with) wasn't open as a Pizza Hut very long. It used to be an iHop several years ago.
I've been watching the website as new locations are being added. The conversions are store number 36xx. Store count increases 1-2 stores per week.