Boston Market

storewanderer

Re: Boston Market

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 1st, 2021, 11:23 am This location is just too stingy to hire more people to staff indoor dining.
They don't even have a now hiring sign up... (like almost every other service business has- many now advertising the hourly wage).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed $15 wage signs in front of fast food restaurants. It simply can't compete with supermarkets and pharmacies that are at least $20 or more these days.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 1st, 2021, 1:47 pm I have noticed $15 wage signs in front of fast food restaurants. It simply can't compete with supermarkets and pharmacies that are at least $20 or more these days.

What supermarket or pharmacy is paying that much? Even Costco only starts out at $16, unless you are talking about a specific region with higher pay rates due to cost of living.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There are some cities in the San Francisco Bay Area with $5 hazard pay requirements for supermarkets, food selling large discount stores, and pharmacies in addition to very high minimum wages. San Leandro for example is $15 plus $5 hazard pay. That makes the minimum starting pay $20. Oakland also has the $5 hazard pay. Other cities with hazard pay include San Mateo, South San Francisco, Berkeley, Daly City, San Jose, and Santa Clara. Many people are abandoning restaurant jobs in California to work at discount stores, supermarkets, and pharmacies. This is causing restaurants to be short staffed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Boston Market reopened inside I noticed. There were actually a few people sitting inside eating and a small stream of people coming and going in and out. I decided to go in. Like five months ago when the inside last opened, the hot case is still busted up and now all side items are being served from behind the counter where the chicken is. All of the lights seemed to be on at least inside. Handwritten sign on the empty hot case showing what side items they have. The busted hot case does have the cornbreads inside (which come out lukewarm at best). They have one cash register that works inside to process cards and their pinpad still only swipes the card (wow).

I see they have new very high priced overpriced desserts. After last night's cake fiasco from a grocery store I decided to try one of their new flavors of cake slice. This one was advertised as lemon italian cream cake. Cost was in the $3.59 range. I received the package and thought there was a problem with the slice- the only frosting was in the middle. On the top there was just what looked like some powdered sugar.

Tried the cake slice. Wow. This was excellent. Moist, it had lemon flavor but just enough to have the flavor and not overpower anything, and the cream taste was really good. Also it also had some frosting around the edge (and that was dusted with the powdered sugar). One of the best cakes I've had in quite some time. Way above what I was expecting from a fast food place. Despite the high price, I would purchase this again. I hope it survives on the menu.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Boston Market back to drive through only again during dinner tonight. Steady line of 10 cars slowly moving through drive through. Manager appeared to be the only employee on duty. Sure glad I waited until I got into the lot to see what was going on, and didn't place an order beforehand (I left).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The employees probably all quit after having to deal with customers in the dining room face to face.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They lined tables up across the entire hot food line/checkout counter to promote social distancing. Also they are using all to-go containers for food vs. serving on washable plates as they did before COVID for dine in. However the employee is still supposed to carry your food (in the to go container...) to your table (you have a choice of about six tables) if you dine in.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed that many restaurants that used to have plates for indoor dining are switching to To-Go packaging. They probably could not find anyone who wants to work as a dishwasher. Or perhaps it is cheaper to not have any washable plates or utensils at all. The dishwasher position is a something restaurants want to eliminate to save money.

During the pandemic, many restaurants were selling their plates, silverware, pots, and pans.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 19th, 2021, 10:10 am I have noticed that many restaurants that used to have plates for indoor dining are switching to To-Go packaging. They probably could not find anyone who wants to work as a dishwasher. Or perhaps it is cheaper to not have any washable plates or utensils at all. The dishwasher position is a something restaurants want to eliminate to save money.

During the pandemic, many restaurants were selling their plates, silverware, pots, and pans.
I don't even remember Boston Market using "real" dishes at all, but then again it's been a while since I've been in one (as there are very few left locally - maybe only one now, and it's just not in an area I get to most times).