Burgerville closes Portland restaurant due to increasing crime and vandalism

Super S

Burgerville closes Portland restaurant due to increasing crime and vandalism

Post by Super S »

https://www.kptv.com/news/burgerville-t ... 0507d.html

They are saying the closure is temporary, but this area has seen an increase in crime. Worth noting is that this location is next to a McDonald's that was rebuilt a few years ago and remains open. I am not sure if the Burgerville has been remodeled since the 1990s when they remodeled some locations into their 1950s neon look.
storewanderer

Re: Burgerville closes Portland restaurant due to increasing crime and vandalism

Post by storewanderer »

That area is full of homeless camps and tents. I am not surprised. Businesses that do not do a high volume of sales cannot afford to operate in these types of locations at this time. Additionally, the volume of tents and individuals loitering within close proximity to this location basically at the back of the parking lot along the highway path between it and the bowling alley is a real turn off. The nearby McDonalds does not have to deal with the frontage path and open space being full of homeless tents

10 years ago this was a clean area generally speaking. Things have really changed.

This is a high traffic location and it is also very possible Burgerville is not the best use for the location.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Burgerville closes Portland restaurant due to increasing crime and vandalism

Post by babs »

If this was about crime and the homeless, then they could have just closed the inside dining area and gone drive thru only. This likely has more to do with a lack of business.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: August 5th, 2021, 5:52 pm If this was about crime and the homeless, then they could have just closed the inside dining area and gone drive thru only. This likely has more to do with a lack of business.
From reading reviews they had already been drive through or curbside app only for a while.

I am sure lack of business is part of the problem but crime and vandalism cost money to address. Money you don't have when your sales volume is too low.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:49 pm
babs wrote: August 5th, 2021, 5:52 pm If this was about crime and the homeless, then they could have just closed the inside dining area and gone drive thru only. This likely has more to do with a lack of business.
From reading reviews they had already been drive through or curbside app only for a while.

I am sure lack of business is part of the problem but crime and vandalism cost money to address. Money you don't have when your sales volume is too low.
I know of a lot of sketchy areas of Portland and elsewhere where you would never go inside or they haven't reopened indoor dining bit the drive thru does amazing business. I seen Burgerville be less than truthful in their press releases in the past so I would chalk this up to a lack of business. They have such a positive buzz around their business but it's so expensive for what you get.
Super S

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: August 6th, 2021, 9:33 am
storewanderer wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:49 pm

I know of a lot of sketchy areas of Portland and elsewhere where you would never go inside or they haven't reopened indoor dining bit the drive thru does amazing business. I seen Burgerville be less than truthful in their press releases in the past so I would chalk this up to a lack of business. They have such a positive buzz around their business but it's so expensive for what you get.
High price point and operating in a questionable area, but should do better, at least with a drive-thru, considering it's right off the freeway. I think there is more to this than what they are mentioning. Burgerville seems to be shifting toward appealing to higher end (yuppie) types while forgetting their roots as a fast food chain. Covid events have derailed their concept a little, they are not known for having a fast drive-thru and are not always consistent with their product. McDonald's can actually run circles around Burgerville.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: August 6th, 2021, 9:33 am I know of a lot of sketchy areas of Portland and elsewhere where you would never go inside or they haven't reopened indoor dining bit the drive thru does amazing business. I seen Burgerville be less than truthful in their press releases in the past so I would chalk this up to a lack of business. They have such a positive buzz around their business but it's so expensive for what you get.
At that point the problem is you don't need a 4,000 square foot building to operate a drive through only concept out of. You are paying for a ton of dead space (dining room, larger kitchen space that is designed with two prep lines one for drive through one for dine in, etc.).

I agree Burgerville is very overpriced for what it is offering. It seems like they use quality ingredients. Still can't seem to get food temperature consistently right-would really be helpful if they could straighten that out. Figuring out how to get food temperature right goes a long ways with an otherwise rather mediocre product. Ask Chickfila.