Dunkin' Donuts Opening 46 Restaurants in Northern California

storewanderer

Re: Dunkin' Donuts Opening 46 Restaurants in Northern Califo

Post by storewanderer »

Dunkin is low quality compared to most grocery store donuts, too. They may have a better flavor variety and they do have a selection of donuts at all hours, but that is about all I can say for their donuts. But I will say their coffee and tea program is very good. I don't see them competing with Starbucks too well though in these western markets where Starbucks is established; Starbucks just offers a better experience and cleaner restaurant environment. I know, however, that Dunkin has been a good competitor for Starbucks back east where Dunkin has been entrenched for many years and has a loyal base.

Also Dunkin is more of an eastern style coffee which seems to be weaker, while Starbucks is a stronger coffee that seems to be the preferred type out west. I think Dunkin's failure out west in the past was for a variety of reasons, maybe it was the locations, maybe the concept wasn't quite right for the west, maybe the product wasn't what westerners were looking for taste wise.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I remember that Winchell's was the donut king of the West Coast, what happened to them? Bad management? They had a better tasting donut than Dunkin'
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Winchell's is still around, albeit mostly limited to Southern California (plus a handful of international markets such as Saudi Arabia and a few Pacific islands) now. Wikipedia says they have around 160 locations these days.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Alpha8472 wrote:Dunkin' Donuts is going to open 46 restaurants in the Sacramento, California area. California is a huge state and so far there is only a Dunkin' Donuts at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base in Oceanside, California. It is not open to the public.
There is also a Dunkin' Donuts that IS open to the public in Barstow, CA. (At the Barstow Station complex on Main St. near the intersection of I-15 and I-40.)
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Dunkin' Donuts has recently opened in Northern California in the city of Modesto. The Santa Monica store in Southern California also opened. These are the first of 200 new stores to be opened in the next few years.

In the next several months the Whittier, Downey and Long Beach stores will open up.