Alderwood Mall (Lynnwood WA) thriving while others flounder

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Alderwood Mall (Lynnwood WA) thriving while others flounder

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... 2oYSOxAARA

As the smaller (and some larger) malls in the Seattle area empty out, most of the mall business seems to be gravitating toward Alderwood and Southcenter (Bellevue Square has moved so upscale that it's hard to call it a traditional mall anymore. ) With light rail lines expected to reach Lynnwood in 2024, the mall seems to be in a good position, at least for the time being.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Alderwood Mall (Lynnwood WA) thriving while others flounder

Post by SamSpade »

Southcenter is a great visit... when coming in from the south end.
I thought Alderwood was really nice when I lived in the region years ago. As traffic congestion continues on there, I'd imagine many from the north end wouldn't find reason to go much further.

Portland metro in a similar situation -
(healthy-ish) downtown, Pioneer Place (central business district) *light rail/bus mall
Washington Square Mall (westside) *bus transit center
Clackamas Town Center (east / southeast) *light rail/bus transit center

Evolving:
Lloyd Center *light rail/bus
Jantzen Beach Center (demolished interior, big box center) *bus, connection to C-Tran

Upscale/lifestyle center:
Bridgeport Village - similar to U Village in Seattle these days
Cascade Station - destination (IKEA) big box center, tax free shopping *light rail, airport

Repurposed but largely in use:
Mall 205 *light rail
Beaverton Mall/Cedar Hills Crossing *bus, relatively near light rail
Eastport Village (demolished, rebuilt into successful big box/strip center) *bus, relatively near light rail
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: December 5th, 2019, 11:18 am

Repurposed but largely in use:
Mall 205 *light rail
Beaverton Mall/Cedar Hills Crossing *bus, relatively near light rail
Eastport Village (demolished, rebuilt into successful big box/strip center) *bus, relatively near light rail
Not sure Mall 205 would be considered repurposed as the mall's interior is mostly intact except for a portion taken over by Home Depot, although it has been emptying out in recent years. The Target in that mall is in a 2-story former Montgomery Ward and still opens into the mall. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a redevelopment takes place.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

SamSpade wrote: December 5th, 2019, 11:18 am Evolving:
Jantzen Beach Center (demolished interior, big box center) *bus, connection to C-Tran
I would put Lloyd Center under the Dead category, not evolving. I expect Macy's to pull the plug in 2020. That will be the end of Lloyd Center. Hopefully a baseball stadium replaces it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: December 15th, 2019, 6:55 pm
I would put Lloyd Center under the Dead category, not evolving. I expect Macy's to pull the plug in 2020. That will be the end of Lloyd Center. Hopefully a baseball stadium replaces it.
I agree about Lloyd Center. Already had a lot of vacancies before Nordstrom pulled. It has just kept having more and more vacancies.

Macy's leaving there after it left downtown would kind of be a void in the market...
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: December 15th, 2019, 7:06 pm
babs wrote: December 15th, 2019, 6:55 pm
I agree about Lloyd Center. Already had a lot of vacancies before Nordstrom pulled. It has just kept having more and more vacancies.

Macy's leaving there after it left downtown would kind of be a void in the market...
Lloyd Center is a mixed bag right now. You have the empty spaces of Sears, Marshalls, and Nordstrom as well as many empty inline spaces. However, they did just spend a lot of money on a remodel that included re-configuring the ice rink. That Macy's seems like too big of a store for that mall though, and almost out of place now. I could see them staying open but downsizing. I would say Lloyd Center is evolving but not necessarily in a good way.

On the Washington side, Vancouver Mall seems to be doing ok as tenants are already lined up for the old Sears. As you move north, Kelso's Three Rivers Mall is barely hanging on, Sportsman's Warehouse and the new Regal Cinemas did little to nothing to revitalize the mall's interior, and the Macy's space is still vacant. Capital Mall in Olympia seems to be doing ok. The Shoppes at Riverside (former Southshore Mall) in Aberdeen may end up dying after Sears closes. Sears seems to be the only thing that has kept that mall open. A partial redevelopment is underway at Tacoma Mall as the old Sears has been demolished. The Commons at Federal Way has been slowly rebounding but now has an empty Sears. South Hill Mall in Puyallup seems to be in good physical shape but also has an empty Sears.