Seattle’s Northgate Mall To Be Redeveloped

Super S

Re: Seattle’s Northgate Mall To Be Redeveloped

Post by Super S »

marshd1000 wrote: April 12th, 2019, 8:12 am Looks like Nordstrom's building is going to be going away. However, Nordstrom has not announced that it is leaving Northgate. So maybe a new store will be built or it could be an opportunity for them to build a new Nordstrom Local store here. The article was in the Puget Sound Business Journal behind a pay wall!

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... -look.html
With a major redevelopment, and both Macy's and JCPenney leaving, I do not hold out hope for Nordstrom at this location.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Super S wrote: April 12th, 2019, 6:24 pm
marshd1000 wrote: April 12th, 2019, 8:12 am Looks like Nordstrom's building is going to be going away. However, Nordstrom has not announced that it is leaving Northgate. So maybe a new store will be built or it could be an opportunity for them to build a new Nordstrom Local store here. The article was in the Puget Sound Business Journal behind a pay wall!

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... -look.html
With a major redevelopment, and both Macy's and JCPenney leaving, I do not hold out hope for Nordstrom at this location.
There’s also a Nordstrom Rack at this location too. Even if Nordstrom closes the main store at Northgate, I could see them keeping the Rack open. I believe that the part of the mall where the Rack and the food court is, will not be torn down. Plus there is still going to be retail on the site. But I can see that the department store distribution in the area is being thinned. Closer to Seattle, I can see Downtown Seattle, Bellevue Square, Alderwood, Southcenter and Tacoma Mall still having at least one traditional department store (not including newcomer Kohl’s). The Commons @ Federal Way & Everett Mall need to turn into power big box centers. Not sure how South Hill Mall is doing? Maybe Bellis Fair and Capital Mall will stay as malls. The Seattle Outlet Collection in Auburn is a different breed, so it might stay a Mall too?!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Everett Mall already seems to be moving in the direction of big box stores. The Sears is still open (for now) but the Macy's closed last year, and most of their former space was taken over by a Floor and Decor store which has no mall entrance. The former Mervyn's store was two stories, but all of the second story has been removed now and the space is now partially occupied by Burlington (which also took over a portion of what used to be hallway and other retail space in the mall) and mostly by an LA Fitness club. The Sear's is still open for now, but when they inevitably close I'm not sure what will happen there. There's also a number of big box stores on the outside of the mall (Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, Petsmart, TJMaxx.) Once the Sears closes they would be left with no "traditional" anchors.

That said, I could see a Nordstrom Rack opening at Everett Mall at some point (the closest one is near Alderwood, and Nordstrom did recently open one in Lincoln Square phase 2) but I'm not sure what other stores might fit the property.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

There will be no more traditional department stores at the redeveloped Northgate Mall. Nordstrom has announced that it will close its store there this summer. Nordstrom Rack will be staying as part of the redevelopment! https://www.seattletimes.com/business/r ... in-august/

I am guessing that the complex will no longer be known as Northgate Mall. I’m sure that the name Northgate will be part of it. But I could see it being called Northgate Station as the new light rail station will immediately next to the complex. The Kent Station lifestyle Center is adjacent to Sound Transit’s Sounder station on that site!
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Nordstrom has closed at Northgate Mall!

Nordstrom shoppers look for deals, find memories as Northgate store closes

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/r ... re-closes/