Dead but not dead shopping center? (Towne Square - Sebring, FL)

cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Dead but not dead shopping center? (Towne Square - Sebring, FL)

Post by cjd »

There's a shopping center here that I can't figure out what they're planning to do with. It started out in the early 70s as a large center, with a Kmart and Winn-Dixie as anchors. In 1992 the Kmart moved to the new mall. The Winn-Dixie conincided with an 80s one across town and eventually closed in the early 2000s. The Hardee's closed around that time. At that point the only businesses were a Dollar General which moved down to a larger space in the early 2000s and a laundromat as well as some offices for DCF and a utility office. There was also a Crossfit at one end for a while.

The place was looking old and rundown and the parking lot was cracked and pothole filled. The city was tired of it being an eyesore and pushed to get the place fixed up, the parking lot and lighting redone and a new facade. The idea was to get small shops such as antiques, consignment and artsy type places to open in the numerous spaces. They did get Save A Lot to move in which I doubt was very difficult, plus the DG and laundromat are still open as well as a hair salon and a thrift store and church but the rest is empty.

I don't get how this place really does all that well, I guess they get enough rent from Save A Lot and DG to cover the expenses. It not being on the highway but on a secondary road probably doesn't make anyone too eager to move in, plus the rent is probably too high for a small shop to move into the small spaces.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Dead but not dead shopping center?

Post by wnetmacman »

It would help to offer insight if we had a location.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Dead but not dead shopping center?

Post by cjd »