Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix to close

jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix to close

Post by jamcool »

https://ktar.com/story/3317614/phoenix- ... g-june-30/
At one time it was the largest mall in Arizona.
storewanderer

Re: Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix to close

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: June 21st, 2020, 1:02 pm https://ktar.com/story/3317614/phoenix- ... g-june-30/
At one time it was the largest mall in Arizona.
I walked that mall about 3 years ago and recall it being maybe 40% filled (such a large space...) and a lot of independent stores rather than chains; there were actually some people around the place, but clearly it was on the way out.

Will be interesting to see how mall redevelopment goes given a large movie anchor appears to be staying open, also Wal Mart is there and Dillards Clearance Center is there... and we know how Dillards handles their property dispositions. Also now that is the only Dillards Clearance Center in metro Phoenix and I think they have a warehouse in AZ as well so that clearance store is actually needed.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Perhaps they will bulldoze it and replace it with a mixed use development. They could add some condominiums or apartments and add some outlet stores. The new outdoor outlet malls with restaurants seem to do much better at attracting people. If they are really desperate they can always bring in Ross, TJMaxx, or some dollar stores.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

There are already 2 outlet malls less than 20 minutes away from Metrocenter. Why not an indoor theme park?
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

i think metrocenter could be redeveloped into a transit village with the light rail extension coming to metrocenter.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

It lost its ice rink (one of the defining features of the mall) back in the early 1990s and most of the anchors have also left. I don't even think Walmart connects to the mall, and it certainly doesn't connect to the upper level if it did.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

pseudo3d wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 4:47 pm It lost its ice rink (one of the defining features of the mall) back in the early 1990s and most of the anchors have also left. I don't even think Walmart connects to the mall, and it certainly doesn't connect to the upper level if it did.
The Walmart was built on the site of the former Macy's store but doesn't connect to the mall (it doesn't even share a wall with the mall).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Kind of useless then in terms of helping the interior of the mall to have Wal Mart there. The mall can go 100% away and Wal Mart will still be there.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: June 27th, 2020, 10:02 pm Kind of useless then in terms of helping the interior of the mall to have Wal Mart there. The mall can go 100% away and Wal Mart will still be there.
I suppose they hope that people will wander into the mall as long as they are already in the area, but no guarantee that will occur.
Of course whoever owns the property gets some extra money from Walmart for their lease of the property, rather than no money from a vacant store, so that's better than nothing, I guess.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

A lot of malls have bit the bullet and added tenants, including anchors, that don't open into the mall. It brings traffic onto the property and the tenants, who are usually off price retail, big boxes or restaurants avoid the common area fees. It probably a better deal than having a dead anchor or spending money to demolish and truly redevelop a dead anchor space.