Emptying malls in Portland, OR

Super S

Re: Emptying malls in Portland, OR/NEW INFO about Jantzen Be

Post by Super S »

I think that Toys R Us, and most of the standalone businesses on that side of the property will not be affected. Best Buy recently moved into the former Circuit City building.

As for Safeway, McDonald's, Denny's, and Burger King, something else may spell the demise of those buildings. Plans are in the works to build a replacement for the nearby Interstate 5 bridge that crosses the Columbia River, which is going to have a major traffic impact on the area. I am somewhat surprised at what is happening at Jantzen Beach when you consider the fact that plans for the new bridge are not finalized yet, and the fact that, unlike the current bridge, the new one will not be a drawbridge.
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote:I think that Toys R Us, and most of the standalone businesses on that side of the property will not be affected. Best Buy recently moved into the former Circuit City building.

As for Safeway, McDonald's, Denny's, and Burger King, something else may spell the demise of those buildings. Plans are in the works to build a replacement for the nearby Interstate 5 bridge that crosses the Columbia River, which is going to have a major traffic impact on the area. I am somewhat surprised at what is happening at Jantzen Beach when you consider the fact that plans for the new bridge are not finalized yet, and the fact that, unlike the current bridge, the new one will not be a drawbridge.
I'm sure those four businesses will contemplate where to make their next move in the future, provided how well each of them are doing in terms of sales so far.

New bridge plans aside, there is another BK only miles south at 9816 North Whitaker Road (in the East Delta Park area), which according to PortlandMaps.com had opened in 1983. Also, Safeway (as of June 2004) opened a new store at 8330 North Ivanhoe Street (which had replaced a 40-year-old Marina-architecture location situated at 8002 North Burlington Avenue).

~Ben
Super S

Post by Super S »

There is also an old Red Lion/Doubletree hotel which has been closed for several years along the shoreline next to the current bridge. My guess is that the site will either be the path of the new bridge, or the site owner is waiting for final plans to redevelop. It is not clear to me exactly which side of the current bridge will be the path for the new one. As I said, plans are not yet finalized to the best of my knowledge. The fact that the new bridge will not be a drawbridge means longer approaches are required to clear the ships in the Columbia, however, since the main shipping channel is closer to the Washington side, they are more likely to be impacted.

Worth noting though is that Safeway has not updated to the new signage. I seem to remember that one proposal puts the new bridge right through Safeway and the former Waddle's (now Hooters) However, there hasn't been much recent remodeling activity on any of the businesses closest to the freeway. Safeway has an important role to Hayden Island though as the only full-service grocery store. Zupan's had a location nearby, in a former Rite Aid, but it did not last long. One thing Delta Park lacks is a full-service grocery store, although I had heard at one point WinCo was looking to locate there.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I visited Jantzen beach yesterday. As luck would have it, however, I did not have a camera on me, as I recently downgraded to a basic phone which lacks a camera due to financial reasons, and did not have my good camera with me. Anyway, the entire enclosed portion of the mall is now closed. Ross and a couple of the interior shops have moved to vacant outside spaces, and a new Target is under construction to replace the existing two story store which is a former Wards. The existing Target, and the rest of the mall except Burlington Coat Factory (a former Kmart) is going to be demolished over the next few months. I could still see the top of the carousel inside the glass area, but there doesn't seem to be any plan in place at this time to relocate it or preserve it.
Super S

Post by Super S »

An update...

The entire enclosed portion of the mall has now been demolished. The Burlington Coat Factory (former Kmart) is now the sole building remaining from the original mall. The former Wards Auto Center, a detached building, was remodeled into Office Depot several years ago and it remains open.

Also, the nearby vacant Red Lion/ Doubletree I mentioned, which was also known as the Thunderbird Hotel, burned to the ground this past week. It has been at least a month since I have been down that way, but things are going to look a bit different next time.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Emptying malls in Portland, OR

Post by SamSpade »

Lloyd Center changes - Sears selling its property to the mall owner.
http://www.oregonlive.com/window-shop/i ... _sold.html
Super S

Post by Super S »

The next mall that is becoming questionable is Mall 205. While they did make a very good effort to get new tenants in there after the closures of Montgomery Ward and Emporium, and the Target and Home Depot seem to do ok, the inside stores seem to not be doing as well. Quite a few empty spaces in there again. I almost get the feeling that the whole enclosed portion between Target and Home Depot could eventually be redeveloped, and a new single story Target being built. Almost reminds me of Jantzen Beach and what happened to what was left of the old mall.

Lloyd Center is also one to watch. Although they are renovating, nothing has happened to the Nordstrom space since they closed, while Vancouver Mall has already managed to fill their vacant Nordstrom space.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote:The next mall that is becoming questionable is Mall 205. While they did make a very good effort to get new tenants in there after the closures of Montgomery Ward and Emporium, and the Target and Home Depot seem to do ok, the inside stores seem to not be doing as well. Quite a few empty spaces in there again. I almost get the feeling that the whole enclosed portion between Target and Home Depot could eventually be redeveloped, and a new single story Target being built. Almost reminds me of Jantzen Beach and what happened to what was left of the old mall.

Lloyd Center is also one to watch. Although they are renovating, nothing has happened to the Nordstrom space since they closed, while Vancouver Mall has already managed to fill their vacant Nordstrom space.
Mall 205 - It's a matter of time before the center section with the internal space is redeveloped. Cedar Hills Crossing has a similar issue but their focus is elsewhere on redeveloping the mall.

Lloyd Center - redevelopment of the Nordstrom building just went before Portland's design review commission. They are going to extend the mall through the building. However, I don't think they have any tenants lined up but until the city signs off on it, they don't really have anything concrete to market. With Ross, Marshalls, H&M and Forever 21 being key tenants, my guess the best bet to the focus is going to be on getting more discount fashion stores. Sears is going to be redeveloped into a movie theater since Lloyd Cinemas site is going to become apartments. The future of the mall is really in Macy's hands. If that store goes, I don't see any way it sticks around long-term.
Super S

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: Mall 205 - It's a matter of time before the center section with the internal space is redeveloped. Cedar Hills Crossing has a similar issue but their focus is elsewhere on redeveloping the mall.

Lloyd Center - redevelopment of the Nordstrom building just went before Portland's design review commission. They are going to extend the mall through the building. However, I don't think they have any tenants lined up but until the city signs off on it, they don't really have anything concrete to market. With Ross, Marshalls, H&M and Forever 21 being key tenants, my guess the best bet to the focus is going to be on getting more discount fashion stores. Sears is going to be redeveloped into a movie theater since Lloyd Cinemas site is going to become apartments. The future of the mall is really in Macy's hands. If that store goes, I don't see any way it sticks around long-term.
Lloyd Center is also interesting in that one floor of the old Nordstrom is also serving as a pathway to access the Lloyd Tower. There is a security guard sitting there, but the pathway "walls" are maybe 3 feet tall and you can see the entire closed store. Lights are on only over the immediate pathway area. It doesn't really look good when you have the vacant store open like that though.

I get the feeling that they are stalling redevelopment of that space to try to get larger stores in there. Malls do not typically extend inner mall shops all the way to the end. And if they take too long, that area may be mismatched as far as tiles, lighting, etc.

I also agree that Macy's plans will heavily influence the mall's future, especially since it is right by the ice rink which is the centerpiece of the mall. But as the last remaining traditional department store (after Sears leaves) it almost seems out of place, and I get the feeling that the Lloyd Center Macy's is one that could go either way. Lloyd Center isn't really a "grade A" mall any more.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Macy's has announced that the Lloyd Center store will be closing:

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... nuary.html

The future of Lloyd Center is not looking good at this point. There are already three vacant anchor spaces: Sears, Nordstrom, and Marshall's. The mall itself has been emptying out as well.