FedEx will no longer make Amazon deliveries

Covering the wide world of online shopping!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

FedEx will no longer make Amazon deliveries

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://komonews.com/news/business/fede ... ith-amazon

FedEx has announced that they will no longer make deliveries for Amazon in any capacity, as Amazon builds up its own delivery infrastructure. Probably not a huge loss for them, as I can't ever recall receiving an Amazon package delivered by FedEx anyway.
pseudo3d

Re: FedEx will no longer make Amazon deliveries

Post by pseudo3d »

Most of the Amazon packages I've gotten have come in via UPS. Several years ago, Amazon downscaled their packaging and sent a lot of things through traditional mail, which often involves it getting stuffed in the mailbox.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

In my experience anything small enough to fit in the mailbox easily goes by USPS and larger items by UPS (occasionally OnTrac,) but more and more I'm seeing items delivered by Amazon drivers. Amazon delivery vans, Amazon trailers and even Amazon planes are starting to show up more and more as well.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The talk from Fedex employees was that Amazon dumped 300,000 packages all at once without warning. Amazon was a bad customer for Fedex. They caused too many problems and did not make enough profit.

The Amazon packages overwhelmed Fedex and their ontime performance slipped. When Fedex packages are late for their regular customers, Fedex loses money. Fedex does not want the unpredictable nature of Amazon packages. Fedex employees were glad when Amazon dropped Fedex. Fedex wants UPS to be overwhelmed and be late. This would mean more customers for Fedex, since UPS would be less reliable.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think Amazon is better off handling its own deliveries. Amazon is so particular with its statistics and how things are done, and how many times something happens in an hour, they should control the whole process.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Sort of related, but FexEx has drastically cut shipping prices for eBay sellers, especially for larger, heavier items. I sell occasionally and usually use USPS for convenience. I just sold a computer and the FedEx rates were less than half of USPS rates....I'm kind of shocked how inexpensive they are. I wonder if it will stay that way or it is a limited time thing.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I've been preferring FedEx lately because of their flexibility in allowing packages to be directed to Walgreens Photo counter for pickup. Very convenient. At one time USPS allowed request of pickup of packages at the post office by the sender but I think now they charge for this.

UPS has started a similar service by using access points at certain businesses. The nearest to me is Michaels. But I find they aren't as quite as easy to work with because there is no designated area for package pickup. You basically have to wait for them to page the manager who then has to go find the package. Instead of just going straight to a designated area where someone is ready to grab it for you.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

New scheme seems to be Amazon ships it via UPS then UPS transfers it to USPS for delivery.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: November 7th, 2020, 12:30 am New scheme seems to be Amazon ships it via UPS then UPS transfers it to USPS for delivery.
And that is a nightmare within my experience during COVID-19. My experiences did not involve USPS.

I had to make so many complaints above supervisory level at Amazon regarding UPS deliveries, pick-ups and driver behavior.

It was beyond the pale!
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: November 7th, 2020, 12:30 am New scheme seems to be Amazon ships it via UPS then UPS transfers it to USPS for delivery.
That was going on before I retired in July of 2018. It actually bordered on the bizarre to see a UPS truck back up at our dock and pretty much the entire contents of it gets offloaded. And it was a nightmare for us as well because you'd get customers who would want to know where their package is because the tracking says "well you're supposed to have it today." Uh, no it may very well have arrived at the PO that day but it either arrived after all of us started our routes OR it just didn't get sorted because the drop shipment from Amazon got there first and they get priority over everything else and other stuff sits there until the distribution clerks can get to sorting it which is usually later in the day. They only see the "arrived at unit" scan and think you have it but there's another scan called "out for delivery" which in that case yes the carrier should have the parcel. But even then it might be buried in my truck under a mountain of other parcels and I can't get to it and may need to drop it off later in the day. Some people don't understand why you can't carry a huge parcel right to their door when you're delivering the rest of their mail in spite of the fact your delivery vehicle is parked at the other end of the block. And then sometimes you'd have customers calling the PO asking if they can pick it up that day which is next to impossible because it's probably in a late arriving pallet stacked to the ceiling which hasn't been sorted yet. Hey folks-here's a newsflash-they got these places called STORES where you can get most of the items you're ordering today instead of having to wait for them.