Ingle's Markets: 2019

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Ingle's Markets: 2019

Post by Knight »

I have not mentioned Black Mountain, North Carolina-based supermarket Ingle's Markets in awhile or at all.

Ingle's #31, Plaza West, 153 Smokey Park Highway, Asheville, North Carolina 28806-1138

A 74,651-square-foot store is being built in the location of the former second Ingle's #31. Ingle's #31 closed Saturday, 2 June 2017. The new Ingle's #31 will be accompanied by I-Market #731.

Ingle's #60, 625 West Henderson Street, Marion, North Carolina 28752-4655

The existing Ingle's #60, a 43,503-square-foot store that opened in the early 1990's, is being rebuilt into a new 71,740-square-foot store.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Ingle's Markets: 2019

Post by Knight »

Ingle's Markets has closed two stores in Gwinnett County, Georgia:
  • Ingle's #102 (Pharmacy, Gas Express), 1154 Lawrenceville Highway, Lawrenceville, Georgia 30046-2434
  • Ingle's #404, 1050 Grayson Highway, Lawrenceville, Georgia 30045-7032
Both stores were claimed to be under-performing.

Ingle's #404 was located at an Ingle's Markets-owned location.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Ingle's seems to have had a strategy of staying out of Atlanta and its inner suburbs---I think they spunoff those locations when they bought the Bruno's operations. I think the closest-in store used to be one in Tucker. If anything, they seem to have receded more to the periphery over time and I'm surprised they're still in Stone Mountain. I think they used to have some stores West and NW of Atlanta but those seem to be gone.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Ingle's Markets may have acquired a quantity of Bruno's and Winn-Dixie store locations in the Atlanta, Georgia, metropolitan area between the late 1990's and 2005.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: April 25th, 2019, 1:19 pm Ingle's seems to have had a strategy of staying out of Atlanta and its inner suburbs---I think they spunoff those locations when they bought the Bruno's operations. I think the closest-in store used to be one in Tucker. If anything, they seem to have receded more to the periphery over time and I'm surprised they're still in Stone Mountain. I think they used to have some stores West and NW of Atlanta but those seem to be gone.
I think Ingles got lost in a very competitive Atlanta market with too weak of center store pricing to compete effectively against Kroger and Wal Mart and without the quality "image" of Publix. Ingles is a pretty decent operator with their larger stores (their smaller ones are just really dated) but they don't make you go wow despite having a lot of space and what seems like a deep product mix. They do seem to run clean and properly staffed stores. Just nothing to get excited about at all.

They still have a store in Norcross... that was the first Ingles I ever went to. The Norcross Store was a lot nicer than Stone Mountain. I'm surprised Stone Mountain is still open...

I recall Ingles having a decent amount of scratch bakery product. Definite step up from most others.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

I will agree Ingle's lost itself in the Atlanta area. Ingle's played catch up with Kroger and Publix.

Most stores Ingle's have closed in recent years have been non-company owned store locations in Georgia.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Ingle's #31, Plaza West, 153 Smokey Park Highway, Asheville, North Carolina 28806-1138, opened Wednesday, 12 June.