WD Issues

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
cjd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: WD Issues

Post by cjd » March 24th, 2020, 2:49 pm

I felt like at first W-D did the right thing in bringing on Sweetbay's mangement. Most Sweebay stores here did seem to be run well. But W-D really added nothing to them when they bought them. It seemed like most of the promotion was to keep as much the same as possible so as not to alienate Sweebay's former customers.

Agreed on produce and bakery item freshness at Publix. It can be hit or miss. I've gotten bakery items that were just about ready to mold as soon as I got them. Sometimes the produce almost looks rotten in the store (this may be more their supplier issues though than store department management itself.) Winn DIxie's bananas often look better than what Publix has out in my experience.

But if I'm making a quick trip to the store generally I go to Publix and make one stop. Or Walmart if I happen to be going there anyway.

Bagels
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bagels » March 24th, 2020, 9:56 pm

cjd wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 2:49 pm
I felt like at first W-D did the right thing in bringing on Sweetbay's mangement. Most Sweebay stores here did seem to be run well. But W-D really added nothing to them when they bought them. It seemed like most of the promotion was to keep as much the same as possible so as not to alienate Sweebay's former customers.

Agreed on produce and bakery item freshness at Publix. It can be hit or miss. I've gotten bakery items that were just about ready to mold as soon as I got them. Sometimes the produce almost looks rotten in the store (this may be more their supplier issues though than store department management itself.) Winn DIxie's bananas often look better than what Publix has out in my experience.

But if I'm making a quick trip to the store generally I go to Publix and make one stop. Or Walmart if I happen to be going there anyway.
Produce is sold in lots based (largely) on size, color and taste. Whole Foods, Publix, Kroger, Albertsons, etc. buy the same lots of produce. The difference is in its handling... Whole Foods keeps most produce properly stored in the back, bringing out small batches at a time, and properly storing it in the evening. Kroger, Albertsons, etc. aren't nearly as labor intensive, but do have proper handling procedures; often, these aren't followed -- sometimes the employees are lazy and poorly supervised, sometimes there wasn't enough available help and the store operated short-handed and other times management intentionally shorted the schedule or sent employees home to reduce labor costs.

But alas, when you see or get bad produce... it's nearly always a reflection on management (sometimes there was a problem in the distribution channel, but that's not common). When I see produce that's clearly mishandled, I know better than to shop at that store, because you're guaranteed to find other problems (e.g. meat that wasn't properly handled, items that weren't properly rotated, expired items, etc.).

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer » March 24th, 2020, 10:30 pm

Bagels wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 9:56 pm
cjd wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Produce is sold in lots based (largely) on size, color and taste. Whole Foods, Publix, Kroger, Albertsons, etc. buy the same lots of produce. The difference is in its handling... Whole Foods keeps most produce properly stored in the back, bringing out small batches at a time, and properly storing it in the evening. Kroger, Albertsons, etc. aren't nearly as labor intensive, but do have proper handling procedures; often, these aren't followed -- sometimes the employees are lazy and poorly supervised, sometimes there wasn't enough available help and the store operated short-handed and other times management intentionally shorted the schedule or sent employees home to reduce labor costs.

But alas, when you see or get bad produce... it's nearly always a reflection on management (sometimes there was a problem in the distribution channel, but that's not common). When I see produce that's clearly mishandled, I know better than to shop at that store, because you're guaranteed to find other problems (e.g. meat that wasn't properly handled, items that weren't properly rotated, expired items, etc.).
I have observed Smiths gets a lot of rotten produce right from its warehouse, especially berries.

Bagels
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bagels » March 25th, 2020, 11:31 am

storewanderer wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 10:30 pm
have observed Smiths gets a lot of rotten produce right from its warehouse, especially berries.
There's the occasional failure in the distribution channel, but it shouldn't be frequent as the stores are suppose to reject and report it. If this isn't happening, it's yet another failure upon local (store) management.

BillyGr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by BillyGr » March 25th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Bagels wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:31 am
storewanderer wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 10:30 pm
have observed Smiths gets a lot of rotten produce right from its warehouse, especially berries.
There's the occasional failure in the distribution channel, but it shouldn't be frequent as the stores are suppose to reject and report it. If this isn't happening, it's yet another failure upon local (store) management.
Makes sense normally, but right now it could be overlooked with everything else happening - even though stuff is selling quickly, I saw a posting of a banana display at 25 cents a pound, so you might expect they just got held up somewhere in shipping and with everything else the store was just happy to have something to fill a shelf and offer as a good deal for customers (as long as they could use it quickly).

Bagels
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bagels » March 26th, 2020, 12:34 am

BillyGr wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 1:53 pm
Makes sense normally, but right now it could be overlooked with everything else happening - even though stuff is selling quickly, I saw a posting of a banana display at 25 cents a pound, so you might expect they just got held up somewhere in shipping and with everything else the store was just happy to have something to fill a shelf and offer as a good deal for customers (as long as they could use it quickly).
It may be that sales fell faster than the store expected when the order was placed. I've seen plenty of older meat & produce marked down in recent days at multiple stores, even though selection hasn't fully recovered. Heck, the nearest Ralphs was pricing bananas, regularly 69c/lb., at 19c, and older stock is about 10c (half off). Distribution centers have banana ripening rooms, so they're extremely easy to accelerate through the distribution channels.