Winn Dixie back on expansion/remodel campaign

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Winn Dixie back on expansion/remodel campaign

Post by buckguy »

W-D would have had the lower price niche in Nashville to themselves. Kroger did well; the other major factor was HG Hill which was the closest thing to a "quality" store---very conservatively run (no alcohol, no Sunday hours) and without service departments. They had stopped investing in new stores sometime in the 80s and never built "super stores" although they had a loyal following and once had dominated the market. The family later sold the stores to Fleming but kept the real estate which included some small shopping centers they've used as the basis for a real estate development business.

Red Food had stores in Franklin by the time W-D left but were not a major factor in the market and independents also weren't significant while they were still there. Fleming's Megamarket came into the market around the time W-D left followed by Cub and the two were later combined as Megamarket and basically fizzled out over time. Kroger had done a good job of operating defensively--double couponing near these stores, while Megamarket started out with deeply cut prices only to gradually raise them. Anyway, Nashville should have been a good market--growing, not a lot of competition, but it didn't work and probably was an early indication of their potential weakness.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Just noticed the remodel at the WD in my original post seems to be going forward. Didn't go inside but saw some of those mini storage units out in the parking lot and some freezer cases. Really surprised they are going to be updating the refrigeration in this store, given that it was updated in 2008, which for WD at one time would be fairly new. Guessing this store may be getting new flooring too if the refrigeration is getting reconfigured? Thought most of these new remodels would be paint and decor only, but maybe they are more in depth than I thought. The early red remodels were never this thorough, most of the Sweetbay ones got new front trim kits on the refrigeration cases at most.
jipper
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by jipper »

The Winn Dixie near me opened about 22-23 years ago and got a major renovation (cooler cases and other fixtures replaced, but neither the floor nor the lighting, except in the produce area) about 2010, then a freshening probably 5-6 years ago. Although it appears to be okay, it is beginning to look worn out. For example, the counters in some areas are cleaned all the way through the laminate top to the masonite below.

There is a second W/D in town which is set up in a very funky way and has the same color scheme and signage as the store near me. It could also use a refresh.

The store near me is not extremely busy on most days and generally has one, maybe two people checking out, along with the self check outs.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I went inside the under redo WD a few weeks ago. At that point, not much had been done, although the decor had been taken down and the walls all repainted red and black. Hopefully it looks more lively once the new decor gets installed. Nothing had been done with any of the fixtures or refrigeration yet. It looks like more pallets and things have been put in the parking lot, so I assume more construction is taking place inside now. The store signage from the facade has been removed and the front facade is now painted red and black. It does appear that a liquor store may be going in on the south end of the store, as there are now windows and a door there that I don't remember before. Not sure what that space was prior, but I just remember an empty wall there. Strange.

This store feels very small inside to me still by modern standards. I would have thought they could possibly expand it, because it also lacks a Pharmacy. But given several of their pharmacy locations have closed, maybe not.

This store just doesn't get the traffic that others do. They also closed the fresh fish department at this location a few years ago, further evidencing the lack of traffic.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

We went to a Winn Dixie that we shop at sometimes on the way out of town. We were picking up a dessert, and I must say I was surprised at the selection of items at the bakery. I remember when your regular Winn Dixies would have maybe some rolls and cinnamon rolls in the bakery and that was about it. But this bakery was very well stocked. Cakes, fudge, pies, all of several varieties. It wasn't quite Publix, but on the selection alone it could really have been competitive. And this is just a regular small town former Sweetbay Winn DIxie with the red decor. No competition other than Walmart really. I had not been to a Winn Dixie or this one in a while but the overall store felt like quite a step up in the right direction.