Winn-Dixie Reveals Next generation Store

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Winn-Dixie Reveals Next generation Store

Post by Knight »

Harvey's Supermarket has expanded into North Carolina through Bi-Lo.

Bi-Lo #5444, 1620 Ashley Road, Charlotte, North Carolina 28208-3706, reopened as Harvey's Supermarket #5444 on Wednesday, 20 July 2016. The store had been in the process of closing. I wonder how throwing time and money to prolong the life expectancy of failing stores will work out.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Knight wrote:Harvey's Supermarket has expanded into North Carolina through Bi-Lo.

Bi-Lo #5444, 1620 Ashley Road, Charlotte, North Carolina 28208-3706, reopened as Harvey's Supermarket #5444 on Wednesday, 20 July 2016. The store had been in the process of closing. I wonder how throwing time and money to prolong the life expectancy of failing stores will work out.
Since SEG is owned by an investment group, makes me wonder if they'll soon just throw up their hands and start to sell off the entire chain to Kroger, Albertsons, Publix, and independents (as well as possibly Ahold Delhaize).
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Winn-Dixie's stores are valuable because of its footprint in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Bi-Lo and Harvey's have select quality stores in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina that could be acquired.

Publix is not afraid to acquire select quality stores. Most of its growth will be in the construction of new stores.

Kroger and Albertson's need to decide if they want to increase store count in Florida to be participants.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Knight wrote:Winn-Dixie's stores are valuable because of its footprint in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Bi-Lo and Harvey's have select quality stores in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina that could be acquired.

Publix is not afraid to acquire select quality stores. Most of its growth will be in the construction of new stores.

Kroger and Albertson's need to decide if they want to increase store count in Florida to be participants.
Well, different companies for different markets. Albertsons would probably want to expand in Florida with better stores as well as expand their presence in Louisiana. Kroger likely would want to expand its presence in the Carolinas and Georgia, with Publix taking quality stores in existing markets. The independents would take the smaller, less desirable stores.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Albertson's will need to prove they are committed to the southeastern United States. When they have divested and closed stores in Alabama, Florida and Tennessee, and has converted stores to another banner, Safeway, they have issues.

Kroger is already in Florida through a Harris Teeter supermarket and Tom Thumb convenience stores. I think they would like to expand through the supermarket segment.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Knight wrote:Albertson's will need to prove they are committed to the southeastern United States. When they have divested and closed stores in Alabama, Florida and Tennessee, and has converted stores to another banner, Safeway, they have issues.

Kroger is already in Florida through a Harris Teeter supermarket and Tom Thumb convenience stores. I think they would like to expand through the supermarket segment.
I don't know if they had any stores in Alabama in the last 20 years, actually. There were some rumors that some stores existed around 2000, but I can't find hard proof. Tennessee was sold in 2002, and I don't think they even had stores in Knoxville either.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Albertson's sold its Nashville, Tennessee, area stores to Publix in 2002. That allowed Publix to enter Tennessee. It would later divest 49 stores in Florida to Publix in 2008.

Knoxville, Tennessee, has had Food City, Kroger, and Ingle's consistently. has seen Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo and Food Lion depart, and has seen Publix arrive soon to be joined by Walmart Neighborhood Market. Albertson's has not been a participant in Knoxville.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Knight wrote:Albertson's sold its Nashville, Tennessee, area stores to Publix in 2002. That allowed Publix to enter Tennessee. It would later divest 49 stores in Florida to Publix in 2008.

Knoxville, Tennessee, has had Food City, Kroger, and Ingle's consistently. has seen Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo and Food Lion depart, and has seen Publix arrive soon to be joined by Walmart Neighborhood Market. Albertson's has not been a participant in Knoxville.
Albertsons LLC sold the 49 stores to Publix in 2008 to raise money. I say that even trying to renovate their few remaining stores is a sign of strength in the area--not weakness, and it shouldn't be criticized for daring to keep stores there. Kroger sold off their "Florida Choice" stores in Florida years ago and I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to re-enter the market as actual Kroger stores.

It should be noted that despite Albertsons' intent to build a national banner, the Florida stores were never contiguous with the rest of the chain. And when I say "Albertsons expanding in Florida" I mean Albertsons Cos. as a company, not Albertsons as a brand, so any new Florida stores would likely open as Safeway but any Louisiana stores (or beyond) would be Albertsons.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

It's already July and now Winn-Dixie is only doing its second "redefined" store. At this point, the 50 remodels will be done by the year 2041. I don't see Winn-Dixie/BI-LO really going anywhere anytime soon. The deterioration and bankruptcy of Winn-Dixie in 2005 still seems to haunt them, and I can't see SEG pushing around an outdated store fleet with so-so operations and disparate directions for the long haul. At some point Lone Star Funds is going to have to fish or cut bait, so to speak.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

pseudo3d wrote:It's already July and now Winn-Dixie is only doing its second "redefined" store. At this point, the 50 remodels will be done by the year 2041. I don't see Winn-Dixie/BI-LO really going anywhere anytime soon. The deterioration and bankruptcy of Winn-Dixie in 2005 still seems to haunt them, and I can't see SEG pushing around an outdated store fleet with so-so operations and disparate directions for the long haul. At some point Lone Star Funds is going to have to fish or cut bait, so to speak.

Spot on!!!!

:-)