Harris Teeter/Kroger integration

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
KrogerTexas
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Harris Teeter/Kroger integration

Post by KrogerTexas »

Kroger will let Harris Teeter run pretty much on it own and merge systems when they need replacing. They do this with a lot of purchases. If there is an immediate need they will of course make changes, but why mess with something that is working well? There is also the possibility that the platforms Kroger is running can't handle a large influx of stores or they are using the Harris Teeter platform as Kroger East, just as Fred Meyers runs Kroger West.

As for as the division numbers, Houston is 34 and Dallas is 35. When merged they were SW, but the old division numbers were still in use internally.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

KrogerTexas wrote:There is also the possibility that the platforms Kroger is running can't handle a large influx of stores or they are using the Harris Teeter platform as Kroger East, just as Fred Meyers runs Kroger West.
Is this where Kroger has three senior vice presidents of retail operations each overseeing approximately eight divisions?
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I just visited a Harris Teeter in Charleston, SC and other than a more extensive prepared foods area, a different decor, and the lack of Kroger brand private label this store could pass for a nicer Fry's or Kroger store in the Cincinnati or Columbus division. The store had Kroger's signature "new lower prices on organics" and "new lower prices" with an arrow labeling everywhere (just like other Kroger divisions). Plus the store has a Starbucks and is otherwise laid out very similarly to Kroger's other larger stores. I'd imagine this Charleston store is around 75k square feet. I really didn't see much of a difference. Pricing, promotions, and emphasis on the club card was very Krogeresque.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I took some photos of the Harris Teeter I visited in Charleston to support my last post.

1.) The size and overall design is similar to other larger non-Marketplace Kroger stores (there is a Starbucks kiosk located in the front as well as a drive thru pharmacy):

Signage and labeling identical to those used in other Kroger divisions:

Extensive La Brea selection in the bakery (identical to what I've found at Fry's stores in Arizona) with Krogeresque sales labeling:

Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

That appears to be Harris Teeter #365, 975 Savannah Highway Suite 135, Charleston, South Carolina 29407-7805.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

While I agree that the signage is Krogeresque, the fact that it has a Starbucks is not that unusual. Before Kroger completed the purchase of Harris Teeter, I went on their website and saw that many of their stores already had a Starbucks inside. I am wondering that when the Harris Teeter contract with Topco has run out, if they will initially bring in the Kroger labeling with the Harris Teeter name on it. That is what they did with Fred Meyer and QFC.
Last edited by marshd1000 on May 23rd, 2016, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It may also be fair to say this chain had some similarities with Kroger even before the merger took place.

But the price structure is very different, the price tags/signs are not from Kroger software, and items on perimeter are completely different. I don't think Kroger put a checkered red diamond pattern in its parking lots either nor do I think Kroger ever put plastic on the edge of the shelves of the dog treat area to keep items from falling off the shelves. I also have not seen a display of "free recipies" in any Kroger produce department. I also have not seen Kroger use closed door cases to merchandise produce salads/juices like this Harris Teeter is. I also have not seen Kroger do a 25% off full line promotion on La Brea breads ever. Also looking at the Harris Teeter front door I see a "meal deal" promotion which is a promotion type I have not seen Kroger run in at least the past decade. Also I have not seen Kroger run the $40 for a $50 gas card with some grocery purchase amount either that is being advertised on the Harris Teeter front door.
KrogerTexas
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by KrogerTexas »

Knight wrote:
KrogerTexas wrote:There is also the possibility that the platforms Kroger is running can't handle a large influx of stores or they are using the Harris Teeter platform as Kroger East, just as Fred Meyers runs Kroger West.
Is this where Kroger has three senior vice presidents of retail operations each overseeing approximately eight divisions?
No. For a long time there were two Senior VP's that split the KMA's (Divisions) As the company grew a third VP was added to balance the load of the KMA's, and KMA's are moved around the Senior VP's from time to time.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

KrogerTexas wrote:
Knight wrote:
No. For a long time there were two Senior VP's that split the KMA's (Divisions) As the company grew a third VP was added to balance the load of the KMA's, and KMA's are moved around the Senior VP's from time to time.
Kroger's current setup has Fred Morganthall, previously President of Harris Teeter, as Executive Vice President of Retail Operations overseeing three Senior Vice Presidents of Retail Operations who each preside over a number of divisions.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I noticed in Smiths this weekend a sign on a metal sign frame that was something about Memorial Day/Troops and at the bottom it showed all of the Kroger banners, this time it also showed Harris Teeter, at the very end of the list. This is the first time I've seen that banner shown along with the others on this type of in-store marketing material.

I didn't see Pick N Save or Marianos on this list... but maybe they were somewhere in the middle.