Publix in Mississippi

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Publix in Mississippi

Post by Knight »

buckguy wrote: March 18th, 2018, 8:46 pmThe main reason they don't have stores in Mississippi is probably the lack of a Memphis presence, the economics of many places, and the lack of potential acquisitions. If Publix expands further in the near future, Memphis is a possibility, but I could see them doing more to fill-in their operations in the Carolinas and Virginia,. than going further West.
Publix is in position to expand into Mississippi and Memphis, Tennessee. The McCalla, Alabama, distribution center is positioned to support additional stores in new markets. I have heard speculation sites for future store locations are under consideration.
bnill
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by bnill »

Memphis would be a logical market to enter, since the only other competition would be Walmart and Kroger. If they wanted to expand to Mississippi, a logical thing to do would be to open stores at the most southern part of the Memphis area, which would be communities within the MS state lines such as Olive Branch and Horn Lake which are likely to grow after the completion of the I-269 beltway. Then they could expand further south into the state when people get more familiar with the brand. Even if they don't expand further south, in the end, Publix will still be able to boast another state. This is the same case for Albertsons, with a lone Arkansas store in Texarkana, right on the border with Texas (literally just cross the street and you are in Texas). Also, there's a Jewel Osco store in Clinton, Iowa, directly across the river from Illinois.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Publix Super Markets' expansion in Mississippi could start with the Pascagoula, Gulfport-Biloxi, and Jackson areas.

Publix is present in Mobile and Baldwin counties in Alabama,. Expanding into the Pascagoula and Gulfport-Biloxi areas should be doable.

The Jackson area would be along Interstate 20. Publix Super Market's McCalla, Alabama, distribution center would have direct access.

Expansion into northern Mississippi and Memphis, Tennessee, could involve more than constructing and opening new stores. First, if Publix enters Arkansas and Kentucky, it will need to establish a new division. The Atlanta and Jacksonville divisions could have expansive territories with high quantities of stores. The new division, based in either Birmingham, Alabama; Memphis, Tennessee; or Nashville, Tennessee, could handle stores in central and western Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, and Arkansas. Second, a distribution center would be necessary in Memphis or in Nashville if growth extends into Arkansas and/or Kentucky.

Interstate 269's completion should be at any time.
MSSportsGuy
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by MSSportsGuy »

I will be surprised if Publix ever comes to Mississippi or West Tennessee. These areas are very poor overall and even the city of Memphis and adjacent area in North Mississippi is lower on the economic scale than markets like Nashville or Birmingham.

It would be nice to see some competition for Kroger in the area besides Walmart but I don't see it changing soon. Memphis only recently added Trader Joe's. Publix is my favorite grocery store bar none. I grew up in a small, rural town in Mississippi where Jitney Jungle was our store. It was okay from my perspective as a kid, but it wasn't until I moved to an urban area after college I had the opportunity to experience Publix, Whole Foods, and other options. I've frequently bragged on Publix to my relatives who haven't experienced it.
klkla

Post by klkla »

MSSportsGuy wrote: November 6th, 2018, 5:55 amPublix is my favorite grocery store bar none. I grew up in a small, rural town in Mississippi where Jitney Jungle was our store. It was okay from my perspective as a kid, but it wasn't until I moved to an urban area after college I had the opportunity to experience Publix, Whole Foods, and other options. I've frequently bragged on Publix to my relatives who haven't experienced it.
Noticed you are a new poster. Welcome to the site.

I've been to a few Publix stores and never really saw anything that special. What is that makes you (and a lot of people in their trade area) so passionate about them?
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I always felt like Publix was very attentive to detail. The appearance and attitude of the employees, the cleanliness of the store and how everything is presented and the quality of the store brands. Plus the perimeters.

All of this makes them a first rate grocer, IMO. I have noticed a bit of deviation in some of these areas in the last few years, but overall they're still first rate.

I try to like other stores, but I usually find something amiss when I shop at them. For example, a discarded drink left on a shelf, an expired item, inefficient service or lax employee attitude about providing service. Once in a while I see a Publix with a customer service issue, but it tends to only happen at certain stores. The other issues I've listed I've extremely rarely, if ever have noticed at Publix. The quality of Publix deli items seems to usually be better than other stores. For example, their fried chicken is far better than what you get at other stores. Their fresh bakery also has a wider selection usually. Plus I find their store brand items to be better quality. For example, their canned veggies are A grade and not full of water like I've had from other stores.

I don't know how they compare to stores like Trader Joes, Kroger, Giant, Safeway, etc as we don't have them here.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

MSSportsGuy wrote: November 6th, 2018, 5:55 am I will be surprised if Publix ever comes to Mississippi or West Tennessee. These areas are very poor overall and even the city of Memphis and adjacent area in North Mississippi is lower on the economic scale than markets like Nashville or Birmingham.

It would be nice to see some competition for Kroger in the area besides Walmart but I don't see it changing soon. Memphis only recently added Trader Joe's. Publix is my favorite grocery store bar none. I grew up in a small, rural town in Mississippi where Jitney Jungle was our store. It was okay from my perspective as a kid, but it wasn't until I moved to an urban area after college I had the opportunity to experience Publix, Whole Foods, and other options. I've frequently bragged on Publix to my relatives who haven't experienced it.
You will be surprised. As far as I know, expansion is planned into Mississippi and western Tennessee. Publix Super Markets will decide when to expand into those areas.
MSSportsGuy
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by MSSportsGuy »

[/quote]

Noticed you are a new poster. Welcome to the site.

I've been to a few Publix stores and never really saw anything that special. What is that makes you (and a lot of people in their trade area) so passionate about them?
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry for the delay in replying but had a busy few days and catching up on social things this Sunday morning lol.

The Publix stores I've visited, and it's a few since I moved a couple of times while living in Atlanta, were always clean, organized, well stocked with incredibly helpful employees. They also seemed to have a wider selection of products than some other stores. I loved their generous coupon policies (though they are less flexible with them now) and while everything was more expensive than Walmart or Kroger their sales had great deals if you watched them carefully. As a small town "Jitney Jungle" kid who also shopped some at Kroger and of course the Supercenters, the Publix experience was a step up overall. Their seemed to be a lot of attention placed on satisfaction of customers and also a clean environment. I've been in some terrific Kroger locations too and some which were very blah.

Now I live in Memphis and I have two Kroger locations almost equal distance from my home. Both are good, no complaints, but neither are are nice as the Publix closest to my last home a couple of years ago. Trust me I will be ecstatic if Memphis area finally has Publix open but I'm not holding my breath due to the economics of the region.