SEG to file for bankruptcy, close nearly 200 stores

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: SEG to file for bankruptcy, close nearly 200 stores

Post by pseudo3d »

Knight wrote: April 4th, 2018, 7:22 am I do not know the present alignment of Southeastern Grocers' regions beyond Alabama/Louisiana/Mississippi and BI-LO.

Beyond four BI-LO stores in quality locations in North Carolina, I do not see any BI-LO and Harvey's Supermarket stores in the state worth saving.

A quantity of BI-LO stores in South Carolina divested to another supermarket would be a bold move. A supermarket speculated to acquire a quantity of BI-LO stores is established in South Carolina, has some locations competing directly against BI-LO, and is not in cities where BI-LO operates.
I think that you were right, based on an older post of yours.
Knight wrote: February 26th, 2017, 8:14 am Albertson's acquiring Southeastern Grocers would be an interesting consolidation.

The organizational structure of Southeastern Grocers, specifically its regions, would need to change. I think the regions were BI-LO East (Charleston, South Carolina), BI-LO West (Greenville, South Carolina), WInn-Dixie Alabama (Montgomery, Alabama), Winn-Dixie Louisiana and Mississippi (New Orleans, Lousiana), Winn-Dixie Central Florida (Orlando, Florida), Winn-Dixie North Florida (Jacksonville, Florida), Winn-Dixie South Florida/Harvey's Supermarkets/Fresco y Más, and Winn-Dixie West Florida (Tampa, Florida).

I wonder if Albertson's would want to keep the low performing BI-LO, Harvey's Supermarket, and Winn-Dixie stores that have taken initial steps toward closure with the reduction of hours of operation, the closing of pharmacy, seafood, bakery and delicatessen departments, and expiring leases.
So now BI-LO East and West is just BI-LO, LA/MS and AL have combined...and I think the the four Florida regions are still intact. I think that in the future, Alabama will be moved to North Florida and LA/MS will be completely cut. After the next round, what's left of LA/MS will be put up for sale, and those stores will probably end up closing or sold to independents. I can imagine Albertsons maybe moving their location in Hammond and Walmart picking up a few sites, but not beyond that. Albertsons' track record in the last 10 years of moving to new markets has been either non-existent or pretty terrible, and the remaining Winn-Dixie stores in Louisiana are in poor/rural areas, inferior to the Albertsons stores already there, or in New Orleans, and we all know what happened there.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote: April 7th, 2018, 8:05 am I can imagine Albertsons maybe moving their location in Hammond and Walmart picking up a few sites, but not beyond that. Albertsons' track record in the last 10 years of moving to new markets has been either non-existent or pretty terrible, and the remaining Winn-Dixie stores in Louisiana are in poor/rural areas, inferior to the Albertsons stores already there, or in New Orleans, and we all know what happened there.
I wouldn't bet on Albertsons moving that Hammond store. The current store is more modern than that WD, and it's better positioned (i.e. not right across from Walmart). Plus, Albertsons is at the edge of their territory there, so they won't invest heavily in that store. Hammond will most likely be the last to go due to its proximity to the DC. At this point, most of the remaining WD stores in Louisiana are actually going to be in urban areas: Baton Rouge, Covington, Slidell, New Orleans and Hammond. All of the rural stores were sold in this last round. New Orleans is their strongest market owing to lack of competition, save for Rouses, Walmart and a few locals.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

wnetmacman wrote: February 22nd, 2018, 6:52 pm And we have at least the first 8 stores. WD is leaving everywhere west of the Mississippi:

8 Winn Dixie stores to become Super 1 Foods

Brookshire Grocery company will purchase stores in Abbeville, Breaux Bridge, Crowley, Eunice, Franklin, Rayne, New Roads and New Iberia Louisiana. I would suspect in Abbeville and Eunice the stores will be replacing older Delchamps locations that Super 1 has occupied since 2001. I'm not sure about New Iberia; that one is a surprise as Super 1 is just about a mile south of the Winn Dixie location there.

Let the fun begin!
Five of these stores, in Crowley, Rayne, Breaux Bridge, Franklin and New Roads, reopen this week as Super 1 Foods stores. Each store closed as WD for the last time on 4/21. I went by the Rayne store on that night, and the eerie look of a partially stocked store still haunted by WD signage, but with two Super 1 Foods banners out front make it look like small progress.

Abbeville, Eunice and New Iberia will most likely go through a full remodel before opening. Abbeville and Eunice are for certain store replacements. I don't think New Iberia is, because it's half the size of the current store.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

wnetmacman wrote: April 24th, 2018, 11:05 am Five of these stores, in Crowley, Rayne, Breaux Bridge, Franklin and New Roads, reopen this week as Super 1 Foods stores. Each store closed as WD for the last time on 4/21. I went by the Rayne store on that night, and the eerie look of a partially stocked store still haunted by WD signage, but with two Super 1 Foods banners out front make it look like small progress.

Abbeville, Eunice and New Iberia will most likely go through a full remodel before opening. Abbeville and Eunice are for certain store replacements. I don't think New Iberia is, because it's half the size of the current store.
A bit of an update:

Abbeville and Eunice's WD stores are being remodeled slightly before reopening, but will do so on May 3. New Iberia's store was simply consolidated with the existing Super 1 Foods store on Lewis St., less than a mile away, and will close permanently. It results in a net gain of 7 stores for Brookshire's Super 1 Foods division, which now counts approximately 46 stores.

Source: http://pointecoupeereporter.com/super-f ... 41-810.htm
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

http://couponsinthenews.com/2018/04/19/ ... test-list/

This posting has a fairly extensive (and being updated) list of stores, not just those being closed but also ones sold to several other companies including Publix, Food Lion and America's Food Basket. Some of these recent sales are stores that were previously going to close.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

The bankruptcy plan for SEG will exchange stock for unsecured debt, which was unanimously approved by creditors. Meanwhile, Hucker honestly believes banners like Fresco y Mas will save the company!
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

BillyGr wrote: April 28th, 2018, 8:30 am http://couponsinthenews.com/2018/04/19/ ... test-list/

This posting has a fairly extensive (and being updated) list of stores, not just those being closed but also ones sold to several other companies including Publix, Food Lion and America's Food Basket. Some of these recent sales are stores that were previously going to close.
Some stores in the process of being divested should close later in May or in early June.

I have read Southeastern Grocers would move forward with 582 stores. I think the store count moving forward will be less.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

pseudo3d wrote: May 10th, 2018, 7:57 pm The bankruptcy plan for SEG will exchange stock for unsecured debt, which was unanimously approved by creditors. Meanwhile, Hucker honestly believes banners like Fresco y Mas will save the company!
Banner conversions will not save Southeastern Grocers. Some stores that have closed recently from the restructuring were banner conversions.

Seriously, I doubt Southeastern Grocers has any ideas remaining to save itself. It is reducing store count through closing stores and divesting stores. It has exited or is exiting markets.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Baton Rouge Advocate says that SEG has exited bankruptcy and is open to the idea of opening more stores in Louisiana. Good intentions, but unless they have something amazing on par with Rouses it's FAR too late for that.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 559c8.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 10:59 am Baton Rouge Advocate says that SEG has exited bankruptcy and is open to the idea of opening more stores in Louisiana. Good intentions, but unless they have something amazing on par with Rouses it's FAR too late for that.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 559c8.html
When did they last open a new store anywhere?