Southeastern Grocers: 2019

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Southeastern Grocers: 2019

Post by Knight »

cjd wrote: July 16th, 2019, 4:00 pm Winn-Dixie's more widespread problem was they spread too quickly and didn't have anything in place to ensure that their chain was consistent. They spread too thin and didn't have money to update their existing stores, or focus on quality and service across their chain.

Publix is expanding in a similar fashion to how W-D did. While Publix has a stronger reputation and has been in the business for much longer than Winn Dixie had when they started expanding, to me there is still the possibility that something similar could happen if Publix doesn't continue to focus on their history and core values as the chain expands with new employees and management into new areas.

Publix has a great reputation, but they're going to have to work to continue that reputation, so that going to a store in VA for example is the same experience as it is in FL. Also, while Publix has great name recognition in the SE, as they spread to new states they really have to offer something that the competitors in that area don't. Especially if their prices are a bit higher.

While I haven't ever had a terrible experience at Publix, I can think of one or two stores where the service was consistently rude and that can happen at any store, so I wouldn't judge Publix on a whole from one experience. But it does seem they could have improved those stores given that it happened on multiple occasions.
WInn-Dixie expanded and spread itself thin indeed. It is not the only supermarket that has failed with that concept.

Publix will continue to expand. It will need to solidify its existing footprint before engaging in further expansion. An example would be additional stores in North Carolina and Virginia. To support those stores, a new distribution center in Greensboro, North Carolina, will be constructed and will be operational by 2022. After the distribution center is open, Publix will be quicker in opening more stores in the Charlotte Division.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

wnetmacman wrote: July 16th, 2019, 4:11 pm
I believe this very much hits the nail on the head. I've only shopped at a Publix in Florida, but in two wildly different parts of Florida (Tallahassee and Orlando), and the two stores couldn't have been more different, even though you felt like you were still in one of their stores. Rapid expansion without market research = Winn Dixie.
Rapid expansion without market research can lead to failure. Food Lion and Lowe's Foods join Winn-Dixie as case studies.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Knight wrote: July 17th, 2019, 5:20 am Mentioning Brookshire's, an acquired Winn-Dixie store in Denton, Louisiana, from 2002 is closing.

Further reading
That's actually Denton, Texas. Brookshire has operated that store for 14 years. I don't believe it's been very profitable for them, as you'll note it hasn't been updated since they bought it. Many of the Texas WD stores have closed for similar reasons; folks just can't get that WD mindset out of their head to shop there. Had they made it a Super 1 Foods store, they'd be filling it like gangbusters because they'd make some massive changes to it.
ChipKing1

Post by ChipKing1 »

It looks like Bi-Lo will be making an announcement tomorrow about 1 store closing in the Charleston, SC market.
Monroe79+
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by Monroe79+ »

Does that store have a pharmacy??
ChipKing1

Post by ChipKing1 »

News is out, it’s Bi-Lo 5246 in Goose Creek, SC. Yes the store does have a pharmacy, heard the whole shopping center was sold, new buyer or intentions haven’t been released yet.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

BI-LO #5246, 142 Saint James Avenue, Goose Creek, South Carolina 29445-2973, opened initially as a Kroger. Traces of Kroger remain.
Monroe79+
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by Monroe79+ »

Thank you
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

BI-LO #5246 is closing in August.

Further reading
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I follow Publix and Winn Dixie on Facebook, and some of the Winn Dixie. In the last week I saw where they are adding a Taproom with craft beer, wine and coffee in their stores. I don't get the point of these gimmicks. Are people really going to go to the store just to sit at a little bar? Will they even have enough employees to continue staffing it?

I just don't get the point of spending resources to add this, when they have bigger problems across the chain.