Southeastern Grocers: 2019

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Southeastern Grocers: 2019

Post by Knight »

wnetmacman wrote: January 20th, 2019, 12:31 pm The Covington store is a surprise. It is the oldest store in the Covington/Mandeville area. It was massively renovated when the new store on LA21 was built a few years back. There will only be 2 WD stores remaining in the area now. It's like they're letting Louisiana just die off.
Why waste time and money on a store that will close or be divested?

Winn-Dixie should not be west of Alabama. Likewise, BI-LO should not be north of South Carolina.
Last edited by Knight on January 20th, 2019, 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Monroe79+ wrote: January 20th, 2019, 1:16 pm Has anyone heard that southeastern grocers is thing of getting out of the pharmacy business altogether ???
No, I have not heard Southeastern Grocers getting out of the pharmacy business altogether. If Southeastern Grocers wants to create more reasons to decrease sales and profits and drive customers away, eliminating grocery, meat, pharmacy, and produce departments is effective.
Monroe79+
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by Monroe79+ »

Thanks. I agree
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

What do I think could Southeastern Grocers do?

1.) Southeastern Grocers could its footprint to Alabama (Winn-Dixie), Florida (Fresco Y Más, Harvey's, Winn-Dixie), Georgia (BI-LO, Harvey's, Winn-Dixie), and South Carolina (BI-LO, Harvey's). It could exit Louisiana (Winn-Dixie), Mississippi (Winn-Dixie), and North Carolina (BI-LO, Harvey's).

2.) Low performing stores with expiring leases could close.

3.) A quantity of quality store locations could be divested to competitors and independent grocers.

Southeastern Grocers has $425,000,000 in senior secured notes due Friday, 15 February.

Further reading
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

As far as the store updates, I don't really understand their logic.

The last major Winn Dixie remodeling spree was in 2008-2010 when they had gotten out of the first bankruptcy. I heard they remodeled about half of their stores at that time. Not sure how accurate that is. They were fairly in depth remodels. They were really needed because most Winn Dixie stores were approaching 25-30 years old and had seen little work except for signage and white paint during the early 2000s.

Then the transformational remodels started about 2010-2011 and ended when Bi-Lo bought them. Those were really nice remodels, but very costly, and I doubt they got more than 10-15 of them done. Bi-Lo did a few pretty nice remodels similar to the late 2000s ones right after they bought W-D but they weren't as fancy as the transformational ones.

But with this latest remodeling work, they seem to have already changed the decor in several transformational stores and it appears a lot of the post-bankruptcy remodeled stores also to this new "red" decor. Which to me doesn't make much since. If anything they should be remodeling the Marketplace era stores that haven't been updated since the 90s, or the 80s era stores that only had the very minor paint and signage updates in the early 2000s. Leave anything remodeled after the first bankruptcy alone until those get done first.

But maybe there's something I'm not getting here, or they plan to close those stores, so haven't touched them.

It does seem lately though that they have finally been doing a few 80s era stores in the last year or so and doing pretty in depth remodels again with new flooring and refrigeration, etc. But then again, there's the money issues.

It's a shame that LA is on the way out, since they did build a few nice stores there during the transformational era.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

I have seen BI-LO and Winn-Dixie stores go years without any updates. The only updates I saw with Winn-DIxie were stores closing. A quantity of BI-LO stores in South Carolina have not seen updates in approximately 20 years.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

BI-LO #5168, Mountain Creek Plaza, 366 Russ Avenue, Waynesville, North Carolina 28786-2905, is closing in February.

"BI-LO bows out of Waynesville’s prolific grocery scene." The Mountaineer. 2019-01-21.
Monroe79+
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by Monroe79+ »

Thank you knight !!🙂
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Additional stores closing should be announced soon.
Monroe79+
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by Monroe79+ »

Thanks.