Southeastern Grocers: 2019

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Southeastern Grocers: 2019

Post by Knight »

I could see Southeastern Grocers remaining in North Carolina past 2019 with fewer stores. Southeastern Grocers exiting North Carolina appears inevitable.
DJESilk22

Post by DJESilk22 »

I heard a rumor that Publix is possibly going to buy BI-LO altogether. Any truth to this?
klkla

Post by klkla »

Unless they have completely changed their strategy I would say the answer is no. Publix likes a+ real estate only. I lot of BiLo properties are second tier at best.

I could see them buy a few individual stores, like they did with Albertson's, but they would be remodeled first and staffed with their own employees.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

At least in Fl with Winn-Dixie I could see them keeping some of the newer/recently remodeled stores, like the Transformational ones that opened or remodeled during this decade, and maybe some of the late 90s Marketplace stores that got remodeled during the later 2000s. Some of those they could probably get away with what they did with the Albertson's stores they bought, and just do a few signage changes and reopen.

The rest of them aren't modern enough for them to want or have the right location to be feasible. Besides, it would likely be a repeat of what happened when Winn Dixie bought Sweetbay, where Publix would end up with locations nearby their own stores. (Although Publix isn't a stranger to operating locations like that.)

Overall though, I don't see it being worth it, and I can't think of any grocers that would be likely do do this.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

DJESilk22 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 4:41 pm I heard a rumor that Publix is possibly going to buy BI-LO altogether. Any truth to this?
I have heard speculation of Publix acquiring a quantity of BI-LO stores, not all BI-LO stores. A quantity of quality BI-LO stores are either in good locations or strong performers worth acquiring. Another quantity of BI-LO stores are either in bad locations and or bad performers.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

klkla wrote: July 9th, 2019, 8:14 am Unless they have completely changed their strategy I would say the answer is no. Publix likes a+ real estate only. I lot of BiLo properties are second tier at best.

I could see them buy a few individual stores, like they did with Albertson's, but they would be remodeled first and staffed with their own employees.
There are a quantity of BI-LO stores in good locations, but the stores are not doing business.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

cjd wrote: July 9th, 2019, 6:14 pm At least in Fl with Winn-Dixie I could see them keeping some of the newer/recently remodeled stores, like the Transformational ones that opened or remodeled during this decade, and maybe some of the late 90s Marketplace stores that got remodeled during the later 2000s. Some of those they could probably get away with what they did with the Albertson's stores they bought, and just do a few signage changes and reopen.

The rest of them aren't modern enough for them to want or have the right location to be feasible. Besides, it would likely be a repeat of what happened when Winn Dixie bought Sweetbay, where Publix would end up with locations nearby their own stores. (Although Publix isn't a stranger to operating locations like that.)

Overall though, I don't see it being worth it, and I can't think of any grocers that would be likely do do this.
It would not surprise me if Publix acquires a quantity of Winn-Dixie store locations, and if some stores were in trade areas with Publix nearby and able to support two or more Publix stores. WInn-Dixie stores constructed and opened in the 1990's would be easier to update and convert. Winn-Dixie stores constructed and opened prior to and during the 1980's would require tear down and rebuild projects.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Another thing the chain would have going for it, is the Sweetbay stores they acquired from Delhaize. Most Sweetbay stores had been kept fairly up to date. A number of these locations were smaller 1980s stores that were originally Kash N Karry or early 1990s Food Lion stores that changed to Kash N Karry before converting to the Sweetbay banner, and may be a bit small for Publix to want to keep. I know of a few former early 1990s Food Lions that Publix did acquire and operate for quite a while with minimal changes, but they are in process of being replaced with new stores.

But on the other hand, quite a few of these former Sweetbay locations are newer stores, since Sweetbay was still building new stores right up to the point they were sold off to Winn Dixie. So there are some that were only a few years old when W-D bought them, and these would be very nice locations to have and are in nice shopping centers as well.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Knight wrote: July 10th, 2019, 9:10 pmIt would not surprise me if Publix acquires a quantity of Winn-Dixie store locations, and if some stores were in trade areas with Publix nearby and able to support two or more Publix stores. WInn-Dixie stores constructed and opened in the 1990's would be easier to update and convert. Winn-Dixie stores constructed and opened prior to and during the 1980's would require tear down and rebuild projects.
I've been in one of the Transformational stores that opened in the 2010s and I believe that is the kind of store Publix could operate with possibly just signage changes. They are very nice stores, and have large service departments and a good layout, but unfortunately you could probably count the number of stores that got built or remodeled to that format on two hands. Some of these stores have even had decor updates in the last few years already which is really surprising for Winn DIxie these days to update a store again in less than 10 years. I suspect those stores that have already had that are in very competitive neighborhoods.

I've actually seen one or two former 90s Marketplace stores that Publix still operates today without many changes.

Not sure how it is in other states but here in FL quite a number of Winn Dixie stores were remodeled in 2008-2010. These remodels weren't as nice as the Transformational stores but are still pretty good. I think Publix could possibly swing some of these stores, but the major issue I see are the service departments in those kind of stores are still small like most of the 80s or 90s era Winn Dixies were. Most of these stores were originally mid 80s Winn Dixie or 90s Marketplace stores, and did not have any expansions or rearranging like the Transformational stores have.

Also I'm a big Publix fan I admit, but I will say that the recent times I've been to a Winn Dixie I've found the service to be pretty good. Not to the level you'd expect at Publix but not any worse than other chains, IMO. Also the Sweetbay stores they aquired typically are still run with the same management they had when they were Sweetbay. And I found most of their stores to be well-run.

The main isssue I see with W-D is they can't seem to get an idea or theme in place and stick with it. So they end up with constant gimmicks that last for a few years at most and are gone. And with all of their changes they don't have a store base that is as even or consistent as Publix is known for.

At the same time however, I do feel that Publix is slipping a bit as they have expanded to other states. I feel like they aren't as polished and professional looking as they were a few years ago. It used to be you'd never see an employee with an untucked shirt or even just a T-shirt but that is becoming seen often around here. Not saying it's a big deal but I do feel they seem to becoming more run of the mill as a the culture of the company seems to be changing.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

W/D lost the biggest opportunity way back when Pantry Pride (Food Fair) finally disappeared.

They could have been the Low Price Leader but failed to respond and allowed Walmart to take control of Florida.

Now it's Publix for "service", convenience and presentation and Walmart for Price!

And I agree with the observation of the dilution of the Publix "reputation story"! The farther south you go in the Publix territory (with few exceptions) the worse it gets.

I was there recently (Dade, Broward and Palm Beach) where I used to compete with Publix and noticed the change.

So sad to see the obliteration of competition in S. Florida (for customers and employees).