It has finally arrived: Raleigh, NC Wegmans location opens

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

It has finally arrived: Raleigh, NC Wegmans location opens

Post by 1111072036 »

Interesting tidbits:

- Apparently this store marks a milestone for Wegmans: they are now at 100 stores even

- Per various news sources, over 3,000 people waited in line at the grand opening

- This store comes in at 105,000 square feet, which is a little small compared to other stores opened within the past couple of years (115,000 - 130,000 square feet). No Pharmacy at this location, either.

- This location is also not 24 Hours (instead, they are open from 5 am - Midnight)

-In close vincinity, you have:
Trader Joe’s
Costco
Food Lion
Aldi
Lidl
Walmart Supercenter
Harris Teeter (urban format)
Target (I don’t know if this location has P-Fresh)
Additionally- There is a former Hannaford/Lowe’s Foods in the next shopping center over, and one of the Kroger locations that closed last year was within close vincinity.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: It has finally arrived: Raleigh, NC Wegmans location opens

Post by Knight »

Wegman's does have a pharmacy permit issued by the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy. It is oversight to open without a major department.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Knight wrote: September 30th, 2019, 10:50 pm Wegman's does have a pharmacy permit issued by the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy. It is oversight to open without a major department.
Interestingly enough some of the latest Wegmans have omitted pharmacies - those being the Medford, MA and Virginia Beach, VA locations. I'm guessing this is due to size, however other stores of that size have managed to contain pharmacies in the past. Perhaps it's not a well-performing department of theirs?
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

BatteryMill wrote: October 1st, 2019, 3:49 pm
Knight wrote: September 30th, 2019, 10:50 pm Wegman's does have a pharmacy permit issued by the North Carolina Board of Pharmacy. It is oversight to open without a major department.
Interestingly enough some of the latest Wegmans have omitted pharmacies - those being the Medford, MA and Virginia Beach, VA locations. I'm guessing this is due to size, however other stores of that size have managed to contain pharmacies in the past. Perhaps it's not a well-performing department of theirs?
Wegman's has a vested interest in pharmacy, health and wellness. Either Wegman's is understaffed in pharmacists, or its pharmacy operation is planning how to grow.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Knight wrote: October 1st, 2019, 9:33 pm Wegman's has a vested interest in pharmacy, health and wellness. Either Wegman's is understaffed in pharmacists, or its pharmacy operation is planning how to grow.
That's interesting, I don't necessarily I rarely see pharmacy customers at my Wegmans - maybe once every shopping trip or so.
My theory goes that Wegmans is a destination grocer and is not convenient to all customers in location, layout and price. They are good with really basic grocery things, service departments and upscale products. Therefore, the pharmacy is generally an afterthought for shoppers and they stick to drug stores/smaller grocery stores for their prescriptions.

That being said I don't assume the situation is too bad. They're still a strong family operation, and I'm sure their pharmacies are decent enough to pull through somewhere. I can't really imagine them selling off their operations like Target did.