Harris Teeter selling their dairy businesses

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Harris Teeter selling their dairy businesses

Post by HCal »

BatteryMill wrote: August 20th, 2021, 6:29 pm I believe Harris Teeter has announced they will remain supplied by Hunter Farms?
The article mentions that, but it's not clear whether Harris Teeter will only buy name brand products from Hunter Farms, or also their private label products.

Also, if there is such an agreement, it probably has an expiration date. Harris Teeter may shift over to Kroger dairies after a year or two.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

HCal wrote: August 21st, 2021, 2:02 am The article mentions that, but it's not clear whether Harris Teeter will only buy name brand products from Hunter Farms, or also their private label products.

Also, if there is such an agreement, it probably has an expiration date. Harris Teeter may shift over to Kroger dairies after a year or two.
So it seems as if this sale could bring Harris Teeter further into the Kroger mold, stripping away most of the individuality it's had.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

BatteryMill wrote: August 21st, 2021, 1:14 pm So it seems as if this sale could bring Harris Teeter further into the Kroger mold, stripping away most of the individuality it's had.
That was bound to happen sooner or later. Kroger does that with all its acquisitions.
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by cw06 »

storewanderer wrote: August 19th, 2021, 10:13 pm From the best I can tell, nobody sells "Hunter Farms" brand dairy products besides Harris Teeter. This places does make some products for other parties but you are not going to see "Hunter Farms" tea, ice cream, milk, frozen ice cream cakes, in a Safeway or any competitor.
I remember occasionally seeing Hunter Farms products in smaller independent grocers and convenience stores, but that was a long time ago. I guess it never took off as an independent product like like they hoped.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

HCal wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 1:09 am
BatteryMill wrote: August 21st, 2021, 1:14 pm So it seems as if this sale could bring Harris Teeter further into the Kroger mold, stripping away most of the individuality it's had.
That was bound to happen sooner or later. Kroger does that with all its acquisitions.
I mean, yes, but I don't know if it was pushed on by Kroger to make HT more like their main chain. Anyway, I digress. There are more elements to this that can be discussed in the "Harris Teeter/Kroger Integration" thread here.
cw06 wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 10:07 am I remember occasionally seeing Hunter Farms products in smaller independent grocers and convenience stores, but that was a long time ago. I guess it never took off as an independent product like like they hoped.
Was this already during Harris Teeter's ownership of Hunter Farms?
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by cw06 »

BatteryMill wrote: August 24th, 2021, 10:42 am
HCal wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 1:09 am
I mean, yes, but I don't know if it was pushed on by Kroger to make HT more like their main chain. Anyway, I digress. There are more elements to this that can be discussed in the "Harris Teeter/Kroger Integration" thread here.
cw06 wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 10:07 am I remember occasionally seeing Hunter Farms products in smaller independent grocers and convenience stores, but that was a long time ago. I guess it never took off as an independent product like like they hoped.
Was this already during Harris Teeter's ownership of Hunter Farms?
It was during their ownership. Late 90s through the early 2000s as best I can remember.