State of Food Lion in the Washington D.C. area

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
BatteryMill
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: State of Food Lion in the Washington D.C. area

Post by BatteryMill » May 15th, 2019, 5:26 pm

storewanderer wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 8:09 pm
The round store was pretty nice. Lousy bakery/deli but I did like the feel and layout of the round store very much.

I went into another Food Lion somewhat near BWI Airport and was a little shocked. It was the usual little Food Lion of the 80's. It was pretty busy with 3-4 checkouts open and customers all around the store. But it had a full, active bakery and deli. There were at least 5 employees in the two departments. The deli steadily had 2-3 customers buying lunchmeat. Big case full of lunchmeats. Case full of various hot foods (wings/chicken/sides). A real bakery that actually appeared to be baking some items off in the store using the oven vs. thaw and sell everything like they usually have. Full looking produce department. This is a rare sight.
One of my Food Lions is actually a pretty busy store, being one of the only alternatives to Walmart/Aldi. The bakery side is pretty small but the deli is nicely stocked overlooking Bloom's former "TableTop" section. I see customers sometimes though this is mostly in the day versus after work hours. The produce section doesn't have a whole lot of shelves but it isn't the worst stock around either. There is also another FL I know of with that round concept.

As for what you said in the Safeway remodel thread, maybe Food Lion could leave these stores behind. This is considering that this is a rather sparse market for them and of course their corporate cousin Giant-MD is the more important grocer here to Ahold Delhaize. Giant may find a way to squeeze in but they also may not as they're going for larger stores than a puny Food Lion. If the banner isn't successful enough they might sell to someone like Weis who bought the divested stores down in Stafford, Fredericksburg and parts of Maryland. If they will manage to keep Food Lion, perhaps the remodel wave will come here soon (as they're presently remodeling in the Shenandoah Valley).