Crucial times for Shoppers

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
BatteryMill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Crucial times for Shoppers

Post by BatteryMill »

mjhale wrote: November 18th, 2021, 3:57 pm
BatteryMill wrote: November 18th, 2021, 11:05 am So there are plans to close the Safeway in Rockville? Strange considering Wegmans is not opening up shop for a little while longer, usually they'd leave it open and try the best they can for a while.
http://www.rockvillenights.com/2021/06/ ... gmans.html

Assuming of course that the blog post above has good sources.
Yes, poor planning by placing it on a frontage road. Only time will tell as to the true route of the Safeway, it is quite a nice store. Should they have stayed back elsewhere, too?
mjhale
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mjhale »

BatteryMill wrote: November 18th, 2021, 4:15 pm
mjhale wrote: November 18th, 2021, 3:57 pm
BatteryMill wrote: November 18th, 2021, 11:05 am So there are plans to close the Safeway in Rockville? Strange considering Wegmans is not opening up shop for a little while longer, usually they'd leave it open and try the best they can for a while.
http://www.rockvillenights.com/2021/06/ ... gmans.html

Assuming of course that the blog post above has good sources.
Yes, poor planning by placing it on a frontage road. Only time will tell as to the true route of the Safeway, it is quite a nice store. Should they have stayed back elsewhere, too?
My guess is that Safeway thought that being further north and on the west side of the railroad tracks would get them a higher level demographic. Also the location where they are now is right by the Twinbrook Metro station and was billed as part of the whole transit oriented development trend that is popular. The two stores that closed were both closer to residential areas and further away from the Giant at Montrose Crossing and the other stores that have been mentioned along Rockville Pike. However the residential areas weren't the typical higher end neighborhoods that Safeway was probably trying to go for when planning this store. I'm not sure how long the Wegmans on Rockville Pike has been under development. But if Safeway moved their store knowing Wegmans was coming that makes me wonder why Safeway would jump in the first place. I'm not saying that Wegmans should be in the only grocer in that small area. However if I'm not a mega grocer like Wegmans I'm not going to open a store next to them and expect not to have my sales impacted.
buckguy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by buckguy »

The frontage road is part of a long-term plan to redevelop the Pike as some sort of Boulevard. Why the Wegman plaza didn't have to do this, I don't know. In the bigger scheme of things, it's probably the least of their problems there. The building is designed in such a way that it's difficult to know where the parking is located. This was a problem at the Pike & Rose development further South and hurt some of the early tenants (like the La Madelline restaurant that had been popular with older folks) who opened before the anchor tenants and when the whole place seemed under construction.

You're probably right that they wanted to get a higher income demographic, esp. given the way the store is merchandised. Even so, the Pike also was a long-term gap area for them---I worked nearby in the 90s and don't recall any Safeway on or just off Rockville Pike even then. Back then, Giant had two stores---the huge Montrose store and a neglected one at Congressional Plaza that seemed to be running out its lease and keeping out competition (it's a Container Store now), plus another on the other side of Rockville's old downtown. The A&P turned Magruders (and later Whole Foods, then Fresh Market) might have been less of an impediment.

They didn't entirely abandon people on the other side of the tracks. There's a store on Norbeck Road that is probably just over a mile from the old Twinbrook store that looks like its had some investment over time. I never visited the Loehmann's Plaza store but used to go to the deli in that plaza---the intersection and the shopping center entry was very awkward and the store was much smaller than the nearby Montrose Giant, which once was the biggest store in the chain. I'd guess that the Loehmann's store survived because the other competition in the area (all in awkward locations!) died off--a Shoppers in strip center in back of long dead White Flint Mall and an A&P that's become succession of Kosher markets. The trading area for the former Loehmann's Safeway probably overlapped with the one for downtown Kensington--an old marina that was remodeled and enlarged a number of years ago. Kensington is a little more upscale but has a lot of older people who bought before the little postwar houses started to become teardowns.