Martin's reportedly selling 19 Richmond-area stores as part of Delhaize merger

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Martin's reportedly selling 19 Richmond-area stores as part of Delhaize merger

Post by mbz321 »

'RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -

Martin's will sell 19 Richmond-area grocery stores as part of a merger with Food Lion, according to a report from a trade magazine on Monday.

Food World reports shareholders of the parent companies of the two grocery chains approved the merger last week and now the companies will sell 83 stores from Boston to West Virginia, including the Richmond-area Martin's stores. All area Food Lion stores will remain open, reports Food World.'

http://www.nbc12.com/story/31527864/mar ... rea-stores

Seems like the perfect opportunity for Kroger (Harris Teeter) to swoop in and pick up some new locations?
klkla

Re: Martin's reportedly selling 19 Richmond-area stores as part of Delhaize merger

Post by klkla »

I read somewhere that this could also be an opportunity for Publix to expand in Richmond. I think they are already building one store there from ground up.

I'm surprised they're dumping Martin's. I would have thought they would try to dump the Food Lion stores in that market instead.
storewanderer

Re: Martin's reportedly selling 19 Richmond-area stores as part of Delhaize merger

Post by storewanderer »

Maybe they just want a "clean break" from one banner or the other and they have opted to sell this banner. I am sort of surprised. I would think 45 Food Lions would do less volume than 19 Martins but maybe these are some okay volume Food Lions.

It is also possible they think they can get quite a bit of money for selling Martin's which they have not done real well with.

Or they have the costs so much lower at Food Lion that this way just works better as far as the numbers go.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

klkla wrote:I read somewhere that this could also be an opportunity for Publix to expand in Richmond. I think they are already building one store there from ground up.

I'm surprised they're dumping Martin's. I would have thought they would try to dump the Food Lion stores in that market instead.
Me too. I'm surprised they're keeping Food Lion at all. The store fleet has too many small stores for full-line, even if they were to convert FL to "real" supermarkets.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

klkla wrote:I read somewhere that this could also be an opportunity for Publix to expand in Richmond. I think they are already building one store there from ground up.

The store at Nuckols Place in Glen Allen, once a site for a future Ukrop's, will be opening in 2018. Its direct competitor would be Food Lion #2507, Twin Hickory Town Center, 11371 Nuckols Road, Glen Allen, Virginia 23059-5504.

I would not be surprised Publix becomes one of the top three food retailing participants in Richmond.

Unless Ahold Delhaize intends to improve all Food Lion stores in the Richmond, Virginia, area with new and updated stores, the inclusion of pharmacy departments and fuel centers, the implementation of a lower price strategy, improvement in fresh foods and quality products, and consistent good customer service, I can see a quick market exit for the combined entity. The execution of Food Lion's "Easy, Fresh, and Affordable" program leaves much to be desired.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

It looks like no one has come up for Martin's stores yet (or any other stores for that matter), even as the Delhaize/Ahold merger moves forward. With now Safeway Eastern taking over Florida, is it possible Safeway could take over Martin's of Richmond? If Publix took over instead, would be realistic for either brand to keep the Ukrops products inside the existing Martin's?
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

I have not heard anything new on the possible divestment of Martin's stores in the Richmond area. The Ahold Dehlaize merger will complete by the end of the month. I do not know if there will still be a number of stores from both entities that would have to be divested.

It remains to be see how quickly and how many stores Publix wants to have in the Richmond area by the time its Nuckols Place store in Glen Allen opens in 2018.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Stores being sold are posted elsewhere on other postings.