Palisades DC Safeway closing

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Palisades DC Safeway closing

Post by storewanderer »

https://georgetowner.com/articles/2019/ ... ose-may-4/

Funny to see Wine Shop Now Open banner up at the same time as the Total Liquidation banner.

Looks like a land use issue as opposed to a store that is closing for performance reasons.
Last edited by storewanderer on April 17th, 2019, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Georgetown Safeway closing

Post by J-Man »

I'm pretty sure that location is not considered to be in Georgetown. There's a Safeway in Georgetown on Wisconsin Ave. which used to be called the "Social Safeway"; at first I thought your post was suggesting that store was closing.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

This is the Palisades neighborhood which is relatively isolated from the rest of the city and nowhere near Georgetown. It's probably closer to existing Safeways in Bethesda than ones DC. This store probably dates from the 40s and, among other things, Safeway has wanted to prevent another grocery from moving-in. there have been several proposals for redeveloping the property that have fallen through.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

I think this may be the oldest continually operating Safeway still open. If it's not it had to be one of the oldest.
storewanderer

Re: Palisades DC Safeway closing

Post by storewanderer »

Shows how bad my geography is with unfamiliar areas. Maybe we need to change the title.
ValuedCustomer
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Re: Palisades DC Safeway closing

Post by ValuedCustomer »

This is a quiet and affluent corner of DC that has been a museum of antique retail. Nearby is the Spring Valley Shopping Center which has housed Jewish market Wagshal's since 1939 and the last DC location of A&P, a 1964 colonial, was tucked away at 48th & Yuma Street and lasted as Superfresh until 2011 or so. And down on Wisconsin by the National Cathedral the Giant kept its 1950's neon appearance until redevelopment in the 2010s.