PA Stores and strange perimeter layouts

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PA Stores and strange perimeter layouts

Post by storewanderer » May 11th, 2019, 11:26 pm

What is it with PA Stores and strange perimeter layouts?

This set up where fried hot deli food is completely separate from lunchmeats is something I saw in both Giant-PA and Weis. This is very unusual to me and not something I have seen out west.

In Weis I saw something even more odd: the seafood department (service case) had a self serve cooler separating it and the service case for meat. At first I thought they simply downsized the department and split it up, but in looking, the service meat and service seafood were two completely separate areas. There did not appear to be any way for an employee to walk between the two from the two service areas nor was one area visible from the other area.

rwsandiego
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: PA Stores and strange perimeter layouts

Post by rwsandiego » May 11th, 2019, 11:51 pm

storewanderer wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:26 pm
What is it with PA Stores and strange perimeter layouts?

This set up where fried hot deli food is completely separate from lunchmeats is something I saw in both Giant-PA and Weis. This is very unusual to me and not something I have seen out west.

In Weis I saw something even more odd: the seafood department (service case) had a self serve cooler separating it and the service case for meat. At first I thought they simply downsized the department and split it up, but in looking, the service meat and service seafood were two completely separate areas. There did not appear to be any way for an employee to walk between the two from the two service areas nor was one area visible from the other area.
Makes me think it is either a local health code (prevent cross-contamination between hot foods and cold foods) or local preference. The separate seafood and meat departments might be a union restriction or again a local custom.