Acme to close 4 stores

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Acme to close 4 stores

Post by storewanderer » August 17th, 2019, 10:31 pm

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 943543001/

Looks like we have here 2 former Pathmarks which look lousy (unremodeled) but large stores, one former A&P banner of some kind which looks pretty decent, and another former A&P banner of some sort that also looks pretty decent and Acme remodeled.

It is striking however, how high volume it appears these once were, specifically the Pathmarks. Looks like between A&P and Albertsons, volume really got driven down. Tough to imagine how Acme is doing worse than A&P did though.

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Acme to close 4 stores

Post by Alpha8472 » August 18th, 2019, 11:25 am

This is the same story over and over again. Anything that Albertsons takes over and rebrands loses business. It is probably the terrible pricing, terrible selection, converting full time employees to part time, loss of loyal customers, and brand loyalty. Albertsons tries to run stores in their own way, without regard to what the local customers want or are used to. It might work in other areas, but it does not work everywhere.

People are very loyal to the other local and familiar supermarket brands in the area. Many longtime full time employees were lost when the employees were converted to part time. Albertsons was trying to save money and ended up alienating the longtime customers.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Acme to close 4 stores

Post by storewanderer » August 18th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Did Albertsons do that converting FT to PT with these A&P to Acme conversions? I don't know much about them. I guess that is one way to handle volume declines without laying people off... though people often do not stay, when you do that to them. Save Mart did a ton of that with the Albertsons Stores they bought (cutting FT to PT, eliminating various department manager positions, etc.) as volumes fell off the cliff the first few years they ran them, and many people simply moved on.

I will say from what I saw of a couple DE Acmes earlier this year, they have a very large center store mix in their stores and product freshness was also pretty good. Regional items were present and in general I was pretty impressed with the places. Pricing was on the higher end compared to the Shop Rite I went into, but it was much better than the DC Safeways just over the state line in MD (also way better mix and freshness at the Acmes) which were pretty bad in every way.