Wegmans to Manhattan Island

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Wegmans to Manhattan Island

Post by SamSpade »

Fan favorite grocer Wegmans announces Manhattan debut
This location marks the company’s second grocery story in NYC following an October 2019 ... debut in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Wegmans to Manhattan Island

Post by veteran+ »

What a gorgeous store!

Wish I had something like that in Los Angeles.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I would argue new build stores of certain Hispanic chains are the closest thing to this level in CA with the value that Wegman's offers built in. Northgate for instance. Of course there are the premium but also higher priced chains in CA like Gelson's.

Wegman's has a high priced perimeter but you get what you pay for and the rest of the store is priced very aggressively, like at Wal Mart levels.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:43 pm I would argue new build stores of certain Hispanic chains are the closest thing to this level in CA with the value that Wegman's offers built in. Northgate for instance. Of course there are the premium but also higher priced chains in CA like Gelson's.

Wegman's has a high priced perimeter but you get what you pay for and the rest of the store is priced very aggressively, like at Wal Mart levels.
Yeah, perhaps, but I am not a fan of hispanic grocery stores.

I find their freshness, sanitation and customer service style subpar. Also a scarcity of organic.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: July 31st, 2021, 9:05 am
Yeah, perhaps, but I am not a fan of hispanic grocery stores.

I find their freshness, sanitation and customer service style subpar. Also a scarcity of organic.
Safeway could have made this happen with Pavilions. It was probably the closest thing in CA since it had a lot of large stores. It was no Wegman's but it wouldn't have taken too many changes to be very, very close. Add in Albertsons ownership and the Market Street format which in TX is a direct (not as well executed) copy of a Wegman's in design and approach and again this could have happened. But for whatever reason(s) it doesn't happen.

Nothing even comes remotely close in NorCal. Nugget does the ultra-premium thing but center store and meat are just not up to speed and prices are super high throughout. Raley's kind of got close to there with some larger builds in the 00's but always abandoned the special perimeter features quickly. Haggen's original OR/WA stores were the closest thing I ever saw on the west coast. Harmon's newer stores in UT are very close- in some ways actually better (service and perimeter pricing). Harmon's has really come a long way.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:43 pm Wegman's has a high priced perimeter but you get what you pay for and the rest of the store is priced very aggressively, like at Wal Mart levels.
It's amazing how many people who actually live near their stores don't understand that - never go because they think the store is "expensive", not realizing that most of the "regular" items are probably better than the other stores they do shop at, just avoid the high priced specialty stuff.