Acme and its union close to walk out in Philadelphia units

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
maynesg
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Acme and its union close to walk out in Philadelphia units

Post by maynesg »

As of the union meeting as of yesterday local 1776 has voted to reject Acme marrkets last and final offer. Judy Spires President of Acme says that the company will install its own contract as of Jully 10, The union wich covers 45 Philadelphia Acmes will not work as of that day, if the company follows up with its threat and will consider it a lock out by the company. The company wants the union members to pay a portionof its medical benefits and will install co pays. The company also wants to reserve the rigth to lease out or contract out up to 8,000 Sq feet of its store selling floor.
storewanderer

Re: Acme and its union close to walk out in Philadelphia units

Post by storewanderer »

"The company also wants to reserve the rigth to lease out or contract out up to 8,000 Sq feet of its store selling floor."

What is the definition of "store selling floor?" Are those little areas up front with banks inside considered part of "store selling floor?"

Otherwise I am wondering what exactly they are looking at doing. Technically, couldn't they just downsize the stores (shrink the "store selling floor") and sublease the excess space?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I would think that most likely they would lease out space to a bank. However, Walmart stores have leased out space to McDonald's and Subway stores. That probably would not make sense, since supermarkets sell sandwiches at their own delis.

I think that a leased dry cleaners might be a possibility. Usually, a Starbucks kiosk would be staffed by supermarket employees and not be a leased location. However, a leased full sized Starbucks cafe would bring in rent and also would include employees on Starbucks' payroll. This could bring in money and save costs on supermarket employee wages.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote:What is the definition of "store selling floor?"
Everything in the store except for the storage, offices, and restrooms is usually considered the selling floor... anyplace designed to accomodate customers.

It can be up front, like a bank or dry cleaners, or it can be in the store itself. A common example here in California would be the Panda Express restaurants found in Vons and Paviliions stores.

I remember when the unions tried to keep Panda out of the Vons and Pavilions stores (unsuccessfully). Their position was that once the company got their foot in by door for allowing non-union operations in a union shop it would risk unionized jobs down the road.
maynesg
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by maynesg »

Hi,As department head with Acme i in Maryland.i can only tell you what arelocal is telling us about leasing. It refers to Acme bringin in out side contractors to work in the Produce department, under a union Produce Manager. I know that severalyears ago, Acme tried to bring in a Sushi bar run by out side contractor, the union took it to court and the contractor was asked to joiun the meat union. The last I saw of those guys was one fineSunday morning when they rolled their equiptment out of the store.
I would not have a problem with Acme puting in banks( they already do) or Dry cleaners, In house Medical or Dental or even McDonalds if they don!t compete with Acme!s current Departments and yes union jobs. If they bring in customers, increase store traffic and help pay the fixed costs, trhus keeping store open. But bringing in non union unskilled Labor is just wrong. Just try asking a Walmart employee about meat, Deli , Fish or Produce and you will get a blank stare and a I don!T know reply.