Market Basket

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Market Basket

Post by storewanderer »

Is anyone else following the Market Basket story?

I would link to some news articles but there are so many I don't even know where to start...
klkla

Re: Market Basket

Post by klkla »

Yes. It's a big mess. The latest article from a couple hours ago says the majority owners may sell the company back to the former CEO.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html

Evidently sales are tanking and customers are actively boycotting the company. IMO this is about greed and it backfired.
storewanderer

Re: Market Basket

Post by storewanderer »

The unique thing about this situation is the work stoppage from the workers basically crippled the entire operation. Perishables are not even being shipped to the stores consistently. There appear to be signs and other materials IN some of the stores encouraging customers to boycott.

I have just never seen anything like this before...the employees right up to buyers have effectively crippled the operation by stopping work, which has in turn hindered the stores from properly operating. It is like a successful strike yet it has nothing at all to do with a union, the employees did this on their own accord.

What a mess for the two "co-CEOs" who were brought in to manage. One of them is from Albertsons, and one is from Radio Shack.