Market Basket expanding to Hannaford HQ territory

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Market Basket expanding to Hannaford HQ territory

Post by cathandler »

They'll be replacing a planned Walmart Supercenter in a Westbrook, Maine plaza that's still in development stage
http://www.pressherald.com/2017/11/16/m ... westbrook/
Last edited by cathandler on November 17th, 2017, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pseudo3d

Re: Market Basket expanding to Hannaford HQ territory

Post by pseudo3d »

cathandler wrote: November 17th, 2017, 9:12 am They'll be replacing a planned Walmart Supercenter in a Westbrook, Maine plaza that's still in development stage
Uh...I think you posted the wrong headline there.

But in terms of their new store, that must have been a relatively small footprint that Walmart was on for Market Basket to be building (I know they replaced a Kmart once, but I'd be surprised if Market Basket went beyond the 70k square feet, which tends to be on the upper echelon of most American supermarkets).
Last edited by pseudo3d on November 17th, 2017, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

I remember seeing elsewhere (or course not remembering where right now) that their one current store in ME is in a former Lowe's location and is the largest supermarket in the state so it might not be as unusual to take a Walmart site (and of course, this location the store wasn't yet built so they could more easily modify what was built vs. using an existing building).

Here's the story I was thinking of - the original one is in a 107,000 Square Foot Lowe's building, and the new one is planned to be an 80,000 Square Foot store.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/11/16/m ... westbrook/
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

pseudo3d wrote: November 17th, 2017, 9:32 am Uh...I think you posted the wrong headline there.
Corrected!
Last edited by cathandler on November 18th, 2017, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

BillyGr wrote: November 17th, 2017, 10:32 am the original one is in a 107,000 Square Foot Lowe's building, and the new one is planned to be an 80,000 Square Foot store.
I'm surprised they went with their 80K format here instead of their 100K-plus version. As busy as the Biddeford store is, they must not be doing enough volume to justify it. Even in Biddeford, they didn't use the entire former Lowe's; part of the building is still vacant.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

cathandler wrote: November 17th, 2017, 2:55 pm
BillyGr wrote: November 17th, 2017, 10:32 am the original one is in a 107,000 Square Foot Lowe's building, and the new one is planned to be an 80,000 Square Foot store.
I'm surprised they went with their 80K format here instead of their 100K-plus version. As busy as the Biddeford store is, they must not be doing enough volume to justify it. Even in Biddeford, they didn't use the entire former Lowe's; part of the building is still vacant.
From looking at Google Earth photos, they tore down the entire garden center area (including the canopies) plus some, including the northwest corner which is now a few benches and I think either the tool rental area (they have those at Lowe's, right?) or another canopy.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

According to the leasing plan for The Shops at Biddeford Crossing, part of the former Lowe's (19,748 sq. ft.) wasn't used for Market Basket
http://www.rmd-inc.net/wp-content/uploa ... asing1.pdf