Kroger closing all Triangle stores (14 total), at least 8 being "sold" to Harris Teeter

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Bakeragr
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Kroger closing all Triangle stores (14 total), at least 8 being "sold" to Harris Teeter

Post by Bakeragr »

So by keeping H-T as a separate subsidiary, they can shut adorn and restart the locations without maintaining the existing union contracts? I’m guessing that is the whole reason they’ve kept H-T at a distance. I’m guessing that is a huge part of the decision to shut these locations down.

Now, not all Krogers are Union, right? I know that not all of the Gerbes locations in central MO are. I believe Columbia’s stores are, Jefferson City’s aren’t.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kroger closing all Triangle stores (14 total), at least 8 being "sold" to Harris Teeter

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote: June 14th, 2018, 7:34 am Maybe the news article neglected to say that H-T was owned by Kroger because that would imply that the jobs will all be kept, but due to H-T's organizational structure, not necessarily.
The article mentions that Kroger acquired HT in 2014 but it is a passing reference.

I can see where they would not want to compete with themselves, but this seems a bit shady.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

These two stores are sure trips... wish I had stumbled upon them when I was there.
350 Six Forks Road, Raleigh
3420 Southwest Durham Drive, Durham

The store Food Lion is getting had a little bit of more recent capital... but quite cheaply. I was not at all impressed with it. I think it was more of a lower middle class location and just not right for Harris Teeter. Not a bad location or anything like that.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: June 15th, 2018, 1:02 am These two stores are sure trips... wish I had stumbled upon them when I was there.
3420 Southwest Durham Drive, Durham...
The 90's wants its stores back, Kroger edition.

With different department signage, the stores wouldn't be bad. I noticed a One Main Financial loan store near one of them, which is a tip-off that the neighborhood isn't HT territory.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: June 15th, 2018, 5:02 pm
storewanderer wrote: June 15th, 2018, 1:02 am These two stores are sure trips... wish I had stumbled upon them when I was there.

With different department signage, the stores wouldn't be bad. I noticed a One Main Financial loan store near one of them, which is a tip-off that the neighborhood isn't HT territory.
I always wanted to see one of those 90's Krogers in person with that original interior... didn't think there were any left. Those stores actually remodel quite nicely into other decors (which I've seen) including Ralphs decor and the next decor package used whatever it would be called. They remind me very much of the Albertsons Grocery Palace interior, but not as classy looking on the fixtures (the stores themselves/departments/general layout may actually be nicer on the Kroger).
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: June 15th, 2018, 11:52 pm
rwsandiego wrote: June 15th, 2018, 5:02 pm

I always wanted to see one of those 90's Krogers in person with that original interior... didn't think there were any left. Those stores actually remodel quite nicely into other decors (which I've seen) including Ralphs decor and the next decor package used whatever it would be called. They remind me very much of the Albertsons Grocery Palace interior, but not as classy looking on the fixtures (the stores themselves/departments/general layout may actually be nicer on the Kroger).
This decor package was actually quite common in the Atlanta division at one point. However, most of the stores which featured it have either closed outright, relocated or been updated with the 2012 decor. A while back, I read that this decor package actually supposedly started around Atlanta as a nod to the region's growing movie/TV production scene.