Circle K acquiring "Corner Store"

pseudo3d

Re: Circle K acquiring "Corner Store"

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote: April 29th, 2018, 4:45 pm Stripes has shown no signs of any changes, other than reduced hours, and that has nothing to do with 7 Eleven.
I figured as much. Due to the vastly different format of Stripes (including larger stores, stores with fast food, rural stores) from 7-Eleven, I'm more curious to see what happens to those stores first. As for Circle K, I'm surprised they aren't going to kick the small, old Corner Stores to the curb. Maybe that's why they've held off on Kangaroo...
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The Corner Stores on Phoenix are starting the Circle K rebrand (there is already one @99th ave & I-10) The store was repainted white with the new "strip" logo, with the Valero pumps changed over the CK "miles" brand (Miles is Circle K's new top-tier fuel). Circle K in Arizona only has Shell as its major fuel brand, so this may be why they are dropping Valero-it happened several years ago when CK bought Mobil's Phoenix convenience stores, the Mobil brand went away and was replaced with Circle K.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am not surprised they are dropping Valero. They dropped them pretty heavily from Kangaroo Express too, favoring BP, Mobil, Shell, or in a few cases even Conoco/P66.

They are sure quick to convert in Phoenix...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: May 7th, 2018, 9:16 pm I am not surprised they are dropping Valero. They dropped them pretty heavily from Kangaroo Express too, favoring BP, Mobil, Shell, or in a few cases even Conoco/P66.

They are sure quick to convert in Phoenix...
I'm guessing Phoenix was easy because of the Circle K heritage there. Here in Houston, Circle K sold out their stores to NCS (Stop N Go), which was bought by Diamond Shamrock after Circle K threatened to buy NCS out, and then Diamond Shamrock was bought by Valero, and well, you know the rest. There were a few Circle K stores that started building around 2014 but they're few and far between (these, AFAIK, are self-branded). I don't know if they'll drop Valero en masse here. A lot of the stores kept the Valero name probably due to licensing issues, but once Corner Store separated from Valero they built a few with Shell or P66.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The CS to Circle K conversion in Phoenix has been rather slapdash. Some of the stores have had full signage conversion, while some have Circle K plastic banners taped over the Corner Store/Valero signs. And the pump conversions vary site to site, some with the orange and red colors (and the “miles” branding again), others with gray and white panel-with a small square Circle K logo.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Passed a Valero/Corner Store on the way home (ironically I believe this was a 7 Eleven originally), signs were placed in the grass that read "We Are Circle K". Haven't gone inside to see for myself though. No sign of Valero going away.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Looks like Valero is going to be completely out of the Phoenix market.

The Circle K's are dropping Valero and the Fast Marts seem to be selling Fast Fuels now.

jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Gas brands come and go in the Phoenix market, 76 and Mobil have returned, Sinclair seems to be popping up everywhere, there are still a few Diamond Shamrock and Texaco sites
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

jamcool wrote: June 20th, 2018, 6:50 am Gas brands come and go in the Phoenix market, 76 and Mobil have returned, Sinclair seems to be popping up everywhere, there are still a few Diamond Shamrock and Texaco sites
There are still Diamond Shamrock stores in Phoenix?! I thought Valero had converted them all, as they had announced 10 years ago, and one by one they all eventually closed or converted to Valero (during this time, the Stop N Go name was also discontinued in favor of Corner Store).
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

pseudo3d wrote: June 20th, 2018, 11:12 am
jamcool wrote: June 20th, 2018, 6:50 am Gas brands come and go in the Phoenix market, 76 and Mobil have returned, Sinclair seems to be popping up everywhere, there are still a few Diamond Shamrock and Texaco sites
There are still Diamond Shamrock stores in Phoenix?! I thought Valero had converted them all, as they had announced 10 years ago, and one by one they all eventually closed or converted to Valero (during this time, the Stop N Go name was also discontinued in favor of Corner Store).
There were/are. I am not sure how much longer they'll be around as I believe all Valero/Diamond Shamrock branded stations will either become Circle K or Fast Mart / Fast Fuels.